Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Side Access

GregSmith
Just Starting Out

Side Access

I have a side access of my home and the next door have a structure adjoining my property line. It was approved many years ago so it is legal. I want to put a wall against their wall (see pic) and seal it in (from the gutter down to the ground)IMG_3991.jpg

. The dank smell from their garage is pretty bad and I want to seal it off as my house is about 1m away.

Be great if anyone has suggestions on how best to do this.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Side Access

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @GregSmith. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

Just to clarify is the gutter you are speaking of marked in blue or is this some type of additional gutter marked in red? I would be under the impression that in either circumstance you will most likely need to employ the services of someone that works in the field of building structures on boundary lines and potentially seek council approval.

If it is the top blue marked gutter there would be several issues as to why you couldn't simply seal that area off without relevant permissions. If it was the bottom red marked area then there is perhaps the option of some sort of free-floating cladding of the wall that could be done, but sealing it off and connecting it to their garage might be another scenario.

As in the case of their structure that was approved many years ago, I would think any alterations would also need some type of approval as well.

Let me mention the very knowledgable @Brad to see if he has any opinions on the situation.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects