Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Side yard - Landscaping project

diy_hausdesigns
Amassing an Audience

Side yard - Landscaping project

The side yard has been a labour of love but here are some progress shots. Getting close to finishing.

IMG_2111.jpg

IMG-20200816-WA0012.jpg

20200930_185812.jpg

IMG_20200827_192329_499.jpg

IMG_1788.jpg

20200728_164505.jpg

20200710_161238.jpg

20200606_113127.jpg

20200520_162724.jpg

Screenshot_20200803-200040_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200719-164726_Gallery.jpg

----
Yours Kindly. For more, please follow @diy_hausdesigns
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Side Yard - Landscaping

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @LizRae.

I've made contact with a few of our timber suppliers in WA and it doesn't appear that something as thin as 7mm Merbau is available for us to order. I can recommend the Specrite 69 x 15mm x 2.7m Finger Jointed Merbau Screening as the 15mm thickness would also suit the minimalistic look achieved in this project. There is also a Specrite 18 x 200 x 2000mm Merbau Hardwood Garden Border Roll which you might like to consider as it would look quite attractive as well.

We look forward to hearing more about your own garden project and would encourage you to let us know if you need any assistance or would like to share it with the community. I trust you'll find loads more inspiration for it, just like this project, as our creative members are sharing their own amazing projects here all the time.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Thrive
Growing in Experience

Brilliant!!

kindermarki
Just Starting Out

Great work.

Quick question, did you plant the plant with the pots that came with it? if so, what is the purpose of it? 

Thanks. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @kindermarki. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for jumping straight into the conversation.

Let me mention @diy_hausdesigns to see if they are able to answer your question.

It appears they might have just set them out like that for planning purposes and removed the pots once they were ready to plant.

We look forward to hearing about the projects you have going on around your own home and garden and would encourage you to let us know if you ever need assistance or have something to share with the community.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @kindermarki 

Welcome to the Workshop!

I didn't plant them in the pots, however it was a useful and easy way to lay them out for spacing before planting.

Cheers 

----

Thanks @diy_hausdesigns it looks amazing

It would be good for others if you can let us know what materials and tools you have used and just an overview what steps you have taken. I am thinking to do the similar project soon so needs some advise if you don't mind

I guess weed mat is required before putting gravel stones? Also do you need to cement those centre tiles for stability? 

Hi @kalradeepak @

More than happy to share the process materials and give a general overview and answer any specifics. 

I'll post the overview in the next few days.

Cheers 

----

@kalradeepak 

To answer your questions.

• I didn't use weed mats in this project as the area is a low growth area, though I do hear of people using them and would encourage them. 
  • I also didn't  apply cement as i'm leaving some room to easily change the design. I did use paver sand and spent a bit of time ensuring the ground is level and firm.

In terms of a general overview, It was generally bits and pieces over time and a lot of changes for the design. So there is no real appropriate approach I can provide but this is how I would do it in hindsight. 

• Plan, measure, measure, measure
  • Plant the plants as appropriate (this will give you a better appreciation of the actual dimensions on ground) I received a lot of advice from nurseries and looking up soil types, preferred location etc.
  • Prepare the ground for the pavers (there are plenty of videos on how this is done) Spend your time here, It affects the overall look and feel.
  • Install Edging - use pavers as a guide to spacing. (I started by installing this where the plants are) and ensure that the edging finishes at the required height. 
  • Install Pavers as desired (be sure to allow reasonable pace/gaps between them.
  • Install stones to fill gaps around pavers.
  • Finally Install lighting (I went with simple DIY lights, plug and go)

In terms of material, please feel free to ask me specifically which item you are interested in. 

Cheers 

Chaks

----

Re: fake fence cover for hws. You may be restricted by regulations as to how close combustible material can be to the nearby gas heater. Just a thought

It's very nice and looks professionally done👍

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects