Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Side yard ideas

bruzzz
Getting Established

Side yard ideas

Looking for ideas for how to do this area nicer. It’s facing south so won’t even try a lawn. It’s very challenging as the ground is completely unlevelled. There’s a slope from the house towards the white fence. Would appreciate any low maintenance/cheap ideas. 

D5DC0A45-31FC-4BA3-AD4A-4C0A9C7B10D3.jpeg

DCC30A02-AF5B-4FF4-8AD3-AA767EF549D1.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: side yard ideas

Hi @bruzzz,

You'll find plenty of inspiration within the community to get the ideas flowing. Some great projects include-

Is there anything you would like to achieve in this space?

Dealing with the slope is going to be your major issue and you might like to consider removing soil and installing a retaining wall parallel to the house wall. Here's a simple to follow D.I.Y. article on How to build a retaining wall by @Adam_W.

I look forward to hearing what suggestions our wonderful members will come up with and seeing what elements you'll want to include.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Re: side yard ideas

Hi @bruzzz yes... one of 'those' spots.
You can get lawn grasses that are 85% shade tolerant or use a shade-tolerant lawn substitute with paver stepping stones but I reckon I'd be going the shady walk & garden option.
Maybe a gravel path with planting either side?
Pics below of a shady garden & walk I did at our old place a while back.
Another option is a sleeper boardwalk so it's on the soil on one edge and a little elevated on the other side. That way you get level access with minimal groundwork & can plant on either side. You can get the idea in my last photo.

Work in progressWork in progressLargely finishedLargely finishedA couple of years later (looking other direction)A couple of years later (looking other direction)

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects