Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Side yard makeover with deck and retaining wall

julzdiy
Building a Reputation

Side yard makeover with deck and retaining wall

Completed project with simple deck and retaining wall.Completed project with simple deck and retaining wall.

Hi everyone, looking for some ideas on how to design the side yard. It was full of scrubs, trees and grass up to your waistline. After council approval, 3 tonnes of skip bin and a new fence installed, I'm struggling to find ideas as the ground is not leveled and there's a small retaining wall.  Will need a clothesline, new turf and it'd be nice to have a small deck area to entertain.

The space is approx. 11m x 10m and east facing.

Next week we are converting a window into a French aluminium door.

Thank you.

20210319_103615.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: looking for ideas for side yard

Hi @julzdiy,

Was it the boundary fence in the image that was installed or was there another one? If there was another one, then an image showing its location might be helpful in visualizing the 11m x 10m space. If you were after layout assistance for your deck it would be beneficial to see where the aluminium door is going.

What would you like to achieve in the area? Is it a space for children to play in, did you want any greenery included or perhaps a garden bed, or was low maintenance important to you? I'd suggest the best place to start would by constructing a list of everything you could ever imagine being in the area. You can then make a secondary list of items that could be easily achieved. Pick your top two and get to work planning them out. 

You might like to have a read of How to plan a garden makeover and How to give your garden a makeover by @Adam_W.

You should find these guides useful:

I've found using a garden planner useful when trying to set out ideas. I'm a very visual person and like to see where items will go.

I look forward to seeing some additional images and offering some solutions to your garden layout.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I thought I'd also mention that our Make It Happen team recently did a spectacular backyard makeover which I trust you'll find quite inspirational. There's plenty of elements that could be incorporated into your transformation.

Mitchell

julzdiy
Building a Reputation

Hi @MitchellMc 

Here are some more images.

We made the list

1. Children's play area + small deck in front of the window( will be door soon) to have a small outdoor seats with table. 

2. Low maintenance greenery as there isn't a water tap in this area and cost too much to install a new one.

20210319_103553.jpg

Door that opens to the side yard

20210407_132003.jpg

The rest of the area. It slopes down and not leveled.

Appreciate all your help!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @julzdiy,

I believe it would be worth trying to at least partially level the yard. If you were to run retaining walls across the upper section of the yard, extending off the existing wall at the house side, then that should give you enough space to have a children's play area. Soil from the lower portion of the yard could then be moved to the upper section, levelling both areas simultaneously. You could leave the slope as-is and place the children's play equipment. However, the quality of play and access for mowing the lawn will be much better on levelled surfaces. I've placed the deck where I assume the window and new door will be.

Mitchell

Hello @julzdiy 

Perhaps something like this?

Cheers,

Red

backyard1.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

julzdiy
Building a Reputation

Thank you for the ideas.

We ended up with a simple deck and retaining wall. Here is the final pic.

20210717_151509.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Congratulations @julzdiy and thank you so much for coming back and sharing a photo of your end result. I'm sure it will help and inspire others who would like to tackle a similar backyard project. Looks like it will be a wonderful space for entertaining friends and family. 

Please don't hesitate to post anytime you need a hand with a project or have something to share with other members. 

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects