Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Solar-powered water feature

DIYintraining
Finding My Feet

Solar-powered water feature

Solar-powered water fountain to add a focal point to the front garden.  Underground solar cables and solar panels mounted on post hidden behind trees so as to be inconspicuous and not detract from the view, yet receive full sun.  Concrete slab base; poly basin; cast iron fountain; solar-powered pump with battery back up; concrete blocks surrounds with removable section for access to cabling.

DIYintraining_0-1688991677530.png

IMG_0249.jpegIMG_0255.jpeg

Steps

Step 1

Concrete slab: dug circular hole 12cm deep and 20cm larger in diameter than basin.  Spread road base on bottom.  Levelled and tamped. Used thick plastic garden edging and stakes to make form.  Mixed concrete with shovel in wheelbarrow (wish I had a mixer!).  Floated and troweled to smooth finish.  Basin and fountain installed once slab cured for about a week.  Pump installed and connected to fountain. Solar cabling run inside water pipe and buried underground.

Step 2

Solar panel mount: dug hole and steel post concreted in. Used 20mm square steel tubing and corner brackets to make frames to hold solar panels (screwed on).  Attached to steel post with recycled satellite dish adjustable angle clamp and adjusted angle for optimal solar input

Step 3

Surrounds: laid and levelled first row of blocks then glued second row on using Selley’s landscape adhesive.  Used pavers for top row, glued on using Selley’s landscape adhesive.  Used cold chisel and hammer to cut last blocks to size and make a removable section to allow access to cabling.  

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Solar-powered water feature

Hi @DIYintraining,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community! Thank you for sharing your solar-powered water feature with us, it is definitely a feature in your lovely garden and I am sure will inspire many members. For those who would like to make a solar-powered fountain of their own, do you have any tips or tricks to share? 

Our members are often featured in our Top Ideas articles like the Top 10 most popular projects of the year, you may even find yours in there one day. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Morning @DIYintraining 

How classy does your fountain look! I have been looking at bird baths, fountains even small ponds for years but this one is the nicest one I have seen. I really like how you have hidden the solar panel away from the fountain itself. Where did you get the base container?

Really adds character to your yard.

Dave

Thanks.

Got the basin at The Garden Shed (thegardenshedtamworth.com); they sell the fountain too but got mine online as they didn’t have it in stock.  

Cheers

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects