Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Termite protection for deck and shed?

Avina
Finding My Feet

Termite protection for deck and shed?

Hello! I'm new to this community and am a complete novice to any handyman/DIY work. My husband and I recently bought a house and was hoping to get some advice regarding termite protection for our deck and garage. 

Our external cladding for the garage/workshop is in direct contact with soil/grass, same goes for the deck. And our building and pest inspection report states this might pose a risk for termite entry. There hasn't been any evidence of active termite activity yet. What do we do to rectify this and what kind of tradesmen do we hire to fix this? 

I'm hoping to do some landscaping later and add some hedging/plants in front of the deck and workshop area as well, but hope to address underlying issues beforehand.

Thanks in advance for any input!

There's a strip of drainage/gutter towards the right side of the shed. The rest is in contact with ground/soil.There's a strip of drainage/gutter towards the right side of the shed. The rest is in contact with ground/soil.Part of the deck is in contact with soil/grass.Part of the deck is in contact with soil/grass.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Termite protection for deck and shed?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Avina. We're really pleased to have you join us at this exciting time for you. Congratulations on the new house. We're sure that our members will be able to provide plenty of helpful information, advice and inspiration for all your projects around the house and garden.

Let me tag some helpful members for you who might like to kick off this discussion about ways in which you might rectify the termite risks identified in your building report: @Adam_W, @bruce93, @Aussie-Garden, @JDE.

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site, or have any feedback about how we can make Workshop even more useful to you.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Aussie-Garden
Becoming a Leader

G'day @Avina.

Congrats on the house and I love that deck and steps.

We share a boundary with a forest and and there is an old mill in there, so termites are a worry here.

We have a yearly inspection and preventative treatment by a professional, just to make sure. I think it costs a tad over $200.00 and that includes inspection and treatment for common pests too.

There is a product as Bunnings that you can buy, where I am pretty sure you mix it in water in a bucket.

You dig a small trench along the side of your deck for instance and then pour it all the way down the trench.

I'm sure the Bunnings team here could help with the name. I looked at this when I built 2 years ago, but the pro's did their treatment and that was enough.

I hope this helps and that someone may have a more definitive answer for you.

Enjoy the house and good luck.

Great thanks for the info :smile:

@Avina, this is the product from Bunnings I was thinking about and you can see the method with the trench in the video they provide.

Hovex 1L Ultra Lo-Odour Termite Concentrate 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects