Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Tile or timber decking on raised slab alfresco?

lltc
Just Starting Out

Tile or timber decking on raised slab alfresco?

Hi all,

We are in the final stages of construction and didn't include any tiling/decking on the rear outdoor area and I think I'm regretting not having it included now that I've seen the finish with the bricks on the outside.

I was going to do this myself after handover so I'm interested in how it should come together since it's raised with the exposed top of the external bricks without capping as well as the gap between the slab.

The step down at the doors is 76mm so I'm concerned it's not high enough for joists below the timber slats?

If I was to tile the area, what's the best way to fill that gap and go to the end of the brick? The screed would also need to be a good thickness.

Also, I think a railing/balustrade is going be a challenge to fix to the floor over those bricks since I couldn't fasten posts outside of the slab area? I'm guessing it will need to be at least 1 brick length inside to fix to the slab itself?

For the moment I was only going to use the 1-2 steps from Bunnings for the OC. Will replace that at a later date.

I would love to hear thoughts of how I could achieve either of the above.

20200924_153813-2.jpg

20200924_153757 (2).jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Tile or timber decking on raised slab alfresco?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @lltc. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your questions.

Building a deck with only 76mm space to work in would be considered a very limited amount of room. Perhaps the slab would have not have been poured so high if the deck was to be included. The only way you could build a deck in that space would be to use Treated Pine Outdoor Timber Framing 90 x 45mm for joists placed on their sides. 10mm worth of packers underneath would be used for a ventilation gap. You could then Dynabolt through the timber into the slab. You should find this article helpful: How to build a low-level deck by @Adam_W.

If you were to tile and wanted to fill the gap between the bricks and the slab I would do so by filling it with concrete.

Balustrade posts could be installed into the ground outside the brick course by creating cement footers or bolting directly into the brick face. Alternatively, as you have mentioned they could be secured onto the concrete slab.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects