Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Timber decking lid with gas struts

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Timber decking lid with gas struts

While I was hoping to get this done sooner, the fun and relaxation of the festive period and a busy start to the year put it on the back burner for a bit. But now it's done I'm super stoked!

I opted for an aluminium frame for the lid to keep it lighter and more structurally sound than a timber frame, which I had a local business make up for me. They also made my underground pool blanket roller which I'll post about just as soon as I install it.

The only thing I'm not 110% happy about with this lid, is the larger-than-preferred screw heads. For the rest of my decking I used aesthetically pleasing Wurth SS decking screws with a small torx head. I needed to use wing tips for the ali frame and the square-drive heads are noticeably larger. But trust me, the world won't end 😀

20200223_171017.jpg20200222_162634.jpg

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Timber decking lid with gas struts

Beautiful set up.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Stuardo
Becoming a Leader

That is magic and I think you will be the only one that notices the screw heads. Great job Pete.

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@ProjectPete AMAZING!! Just need another one with a pop up cocktail bar within it! 🍸🍹🍷🍺🥃

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Vivian1
Finding My Feet

Hi fantastic.

do you have plans for this. I am not entirely sure how you mounted the lid to the subframe and what kind of hinges Odin you use . Did you make the metal frame ?

great work Vivian

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Vivian1. It's marvellous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about this fantastic project.

Let me mention @ProjectPete to see if he can provide some additional information on his build and how he fixed the lid to the frame.

Are you considering a similar project? Our members would love to hear all about it, and we'd encourage you to reach out if you need assistance or have questions.

I look forward to hearing more about it.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi,

Yes I am considering a similar project.

Thanks

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects