Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Timber gate for pets

sydneysider
Building a Reputation

Timber gate for pets

StevieB_0-1627022175363.jpeg

hi there

I am planning on making a small timber gate on our deck to keep to cat from wandering off the deck.  Doesn't need to be super strong or durable, just something light which can be hinged on to the existing post and last us 3-4 years.

I went to bunnings and looked at options - there were treated pine slats and dressed pine slats . In our case the area is covered by roofing and is not likely to be exposed to rain directly - so I was thinking if I can go with dressed pine slats and prime & paint them , could they give me 3-4 years life. Also its well clear off the ground so I don't think they will attract any termites. 

If you could give me ideas on a basic design and hinges, latches it would be great.  Attaching some photos for your reference. 

thanks IMG_4627.jpgIMG_4626.jpgIMG_4625.jpg

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Ideas for timber gate for pets

Hi @sydneysider,

Thanks for sharing a bit about your project. Our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be happy to offer suggestions when he's back on the site on Friday. 

Let me tag cat enthusiasts @Shannon@TheSaltyreefer and @Chrissie35 who may also be able to help.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
sydneysider
Building a Reputation

THanks @StevieB and @EricL   - will look forward to your suggestions so I can keep myself busy building the gate this weekend. cheers

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @sydneysider

Thank you for sharing your question about building your pet gate.

My apologies for the late reply. The plan I have placed is just a suggested guide for you. You can adjust it to the material you will use, but the build will more or less be in the same manner. Things to consider while building the gate:

• Make sure your pet's head can't go between the gaps of the fence panels.
  • Look carefully where you will mount the hinges.
  • Consider what type of locking mechanism you would like to put in for example - Pinnacle Galvanised D Pattern Gate Latch
  • Test the gate to make sure it opens and that there are no gaps where the pet can escape out of.
  • Take into consideration if the gate will either swing in or out. 

My only other suggestion is to use screws that are rated for outside use. 

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

sydneysider
Building a Reputation

thank you @EricL  for the suggestions.

FInished the gate over the weekend, took me around 2-3 hours but got there in the end. 

I used dressed pine lengths 1.2m , so went quite smoothly till i got to the hinge and latch. 

For some mysterious reason, probably because either the posts or the gate frame are not perfectly true, the door automatically swings shut which is not a bad outcome.

However it did mean that I couldn't install the latch, as the gate swings inward and  i probably haven't installed the hinge the right way to leave room for the latch on the other side.

anyways, am good for now as I don't think the cat is smart enough to pull the door open ! attached some photos... 

IMG_4634.jpegIMG_4631.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @sydneysider

Your gate looks great! I'm glad that you got the gate assembled. I would still encourage you to try and install the gate latch, even if you have to add extra timber to the gate. You can never tell with cats, they just might figure it out. If you need assistance with another project, please let us know.

We look forward to your next project.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects