Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ugly fence be gone using Merbau panels

WendyL
Building a Reputation

Ugly fence be gone using Merbau panels

2.jpg

We have become obsessed with these premade merbau panels from Bunnings.  They are perfect for hiding our fence and creating a nice view of the courtyard.  The structure itself does not touch the existing fence and the premade panels mean installation happens pretty quickly.  We did this over the space of about two weeks during our spare time outside of work, painting the timber before any cuts were made, installing the frame in sections and then finally the panels.  We had a spare panel which worked perfectly to hide the hot water service aswell as display our plant we like to call "Dreadlocks" (no idea what it actually is).  We are thrilled with the way it has turned out and have our eyes on a pizza oven for pizza parties!  We are now looking for ideas for the concrete as it needs a little something something....any ideas?  Since these photos, we have introduced some potted trees and more grenery with more plants to follow and some funky outdoor furniture.

Instagram: Standbackimhavinganidea

3.jpg5.jpg1.jpg9.jpg4.jpg6.jpg10.jpg11.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Ugly Fence Be Gone

What a fabulous transformation, @WendyL! You must be super proud of your efforts, and rightly so. I, too, am a great fan of those Merbau panels, which I've used to create a side fence and gate. I was even musing the other day about how they could be used for pre-fab decking panels. They're actually cheaper per m2 than Merbau decking. 

For an instant transformation of the pavement on a budget, you might like to look at painting it. However, after the effort you've gone to on the fence, in my opinion, a deck would be the best way to complement it.

Many thanks for sharing, and I look forward to your next project.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ScalesFam
Finding My Feet

Re: Ugly fence be gone using Merbau panels

This looks great! Wonder if this could be  utilised in a pool area - would it comply as pool fencing?
What does the back look like? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @ScalesFam

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining us and sharing your question about the Merbau panels being suitable for your pool fencing.

Every council has its own set of rules regarding pool fencing requirements. Some require that they be solid, others say that there should be no gaps, it's best to check the rules in your area before proceeding. Using the SpecRite 1800 x 902mm Pre-Oiled Merbau Alternating Slat Fence Panel is a convenient and quick way of creating cover not only for your fence, but other items in your garden. If you are planning on building your fence, any updates you can provide would be much appreciated.

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration: Top 10 most popular fence projects

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

sophiek77
Getting Established

Ah-mazing @WendyL! What does the frame look like you used to attach the panels pls? And did you also source the beams at our beloved Bunnings? And lastly, is there a link for the merbau panels. Thanks for the inspo!

PMck86
Finding My Feet

Wow I saw this post this morning and knew it was exactly what I was looking for went over to the local Bunnings and ordered 6 panels. What fasteners have you used on your build I really like the look?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @PMck86. Thank you for joining the discussion and sharing your question about what fasteners were used to mount the Merbau panels.

It's great to hear that this project has inspired you to attempt your own fence project. Let me tag @WendyL so that they are made aware of your question. The installation of the panels to me is perfect, not a single one out of alignment. I'm very curious myself as to how they achieved such a uniform finish. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your Merbau panels installed on your fence.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

pats6182
Having an Impact

Hi @WendyL , amazing transformation. Looks so good and neat. Are these the 90x90 posts with some carinya L brackets and Ankascrews?

WendyL
Building a Reputation

13.jpg

WendyL
Building a Reputation

Thanks so much, glad you like it.

I only have one photo that reveals a bit of the framework.  We did buy everything needed for this project from Bunnings.  This was built in Dec 2020 and all the panels look as good as they did on day 1 and are all still perfectly aligned (we have done 1 coat with Cabots deck stain).  The only thing that is bugging us is the horizontal posts that are connected to the house have twisted and bowed a little.  So if we were to do it all over again, we would research the timber a bit more.

SpecRite 1800 x 902mm Pre-Oiled Merbau Alternating Slat Fence Panel - Bunnings Australia

I hope to see pics of your project also.

Enjoy your DIY'ing @sophiek77 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects