Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Upright straight posts and gimbal for beehives (Otter ground screws)

Beekeeper
Just Starting Out

Upright straight posts and gimbal for beehives (Otter ground screws)

Hi. I am a beekeeper and wanted to have each hive on a single upright post at around 1m height. This will allow easy access and for my students (I teach backyard beekeeping) to gather around the hive and watch what is going on. What I need is a removable post system with an upright post that comes up to a "H" to support the hive. Each hive can weigh up to 80kg and needs to be quite level. So I am looking for an adjustable system under the "H" where I could make small adjustments in one or two axis. I.e if I didnt get the post quite straight, or if it moves slightly over time. I was thinking if using the Otter Ground screws (so I can move the hives occasionally) and a painted post coming up. The adjustment and the H is where I am stuck. Any thoughts? (pic is kind of the thing I am thinking but would need a post and ideally an off the shelf H and axis adjustments)

Eindrehfundament_1.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Upright straight posts and gimbal for beehives. (Otter ground screws)

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Beekeeper. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about creating beehive stands.

Do you own a welder or happen to know anyone that has access to one? I would presume using one would be the most effective way to build these. How many do you intend to build?

If you want to extend the Otter 690 x 90mm Ground Screw Stirrup with the same approx 70mm thick galvanised pipe, you'll need to see our helpful team at your local store's Special Orders desk. They'll be able to order something suitable from Australian Handyman Supplies. The largest pipe in-store is likely ARC Fences 2.4m 50NB Galvanised Steel Pipe which is 50mm in diameter and significantly smaller than the shaft of the Otter stirrup.

You could use Metal Mate 25 x 25 x 1.6mm 3m Galvanised Steel Square Tube and Metal Mate 50 x 50 x 4mm x 1m Galvanised Steel Angle Bar to make the H-section. As with connecting the round tube to the Otter stirrup, you'll need a welder to create this H-section.

To get your hive adjustment, you could tap bolt threads into each corner of the H-section. This will allow you to have height adjustable bolts in those locations. As the beehive will be sitting on them, any adjustment will correct the angle of the hive.

I suspect the best way to complete this project would be to have a chat with a few of your friends and advertise the fact that there are some ice-cold beverages on hand for anyone willing to do a few hours of welding.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Michael.

This is great! Thanks for your response. I was hoping for an off-the-shelf solution as I don't weld. (Yet...) I was thinking of getting the ground screw right down to the ground and using a merbau post to fit in the stirrup. As you say though, an H bracket might be best made by welding one up. It could simply sit / attach on the top of the merbau post. I need the H to be about a metre off the ground. 

@Beekeeper,

If you were going to use a timber post, then the metal H-section is unnecessary, as the beehive could be fixed directly to it. You could screw some timber to the underside of the beehive, which will locate it on the post. Place timber or plastic shims on top of the post to level the hive. Once levelled, you can drill and bolt the hive to the post. I'll illustrate below.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects