Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Very low lying deck

1Tony
Finding My Feet

Very low lying deck

Hi 

I would like some advice on building a deck similar to the photo.

This would need some type of compacted road base?

What would be better as frame material steel or timber 

The front edge of this deck would be a good height 

Is there a service at Bunnings where they can help with ordering 

Thanks

D6528D72-167B-4920-AD74-A8F999B52359.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Very low lying deck

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @1Tony. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your questions.

A great place to start when building a deck would be with @Adam_W's article on How to build a low-level deck. The pictured deck looks exceptionally low to the ground, and both steel and H3 timber don't like being in constant contact with moisture. You would certainly need some great drainage measures in place to prevent water from accumulating under it. Compacted road base, filter cloth and drainage channels would be a must. @Adam_W's article has a section covering this.

You can use the SpecRite and Ekodeck calculator to work out the amount of decking you'll need. Once you've decided on how you'll construct your frame and what timber you'll be using, then I'd be happy to assist in working out the quantities and lengths needed. The team at your local store's Special Orders desk will be happy to place any bulk orders for you.

Once you've read through the above article, please let me know if you have any questions about the build.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for your reply might look at the builders edge small foot should be a safer option 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

The Builders Edge Pedestal Foot Smallfoot 35 - 60mm is a fantastic device when constructing decks over a sloped area. Their adjustable height is perfect for getting everything level. You might like to show us the area where you're planning to build the deck. If you can include its overall size and height off the ground, we can make some timber suggestions for the frame.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Hi @1Tony 
@MitchellMc is spot-on on all counts.
I would add that the deck in that picture is an absolute disaster. Looks fantastic but it will rot-out in no time. If council were to see it they would likley order it removed.
The only way you could consider something such as the deck in the pic would be to excavate at least 500mm out from the edge of the deck on all sides, put in a low retaining wall around edge of this excavation, bring soil level between deck and new wall down to below bearer height, install sub-surface drainage on all sides to take water away, spread drainage fabric over the 500mm area between new retaining wall & deck edge and then lay a decorative gravel mulch over this.

Ekodeck
Getting Established

Hi @1Tony ,

We might be bias, but if wanting to get any sort of longevity out of a deck with such low ground clearance we'd definitely recommend going with Ekodeck!

As others have mentioned, timber will rot out in no time!

Here to help should you have any queries!

@Ekodeck the issue of rotting-out relates more with the supporting structural members than the decking board.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects