Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Vinnie - Viscount caravan renovation

Peggers
Becoming a Leader

Vinnie - Viscount caravan renovation

Vinnie16.jpg

Recent caravan renovation project - Vinnie the Viscount van. It included a window box and a bright and beautiful paint job. 

Vinnie4.jpg

Vinnie10.jpgVinnie0.jpg

Vinnie1.jpgVinnie2.jpgVinnie6.jpgVinnie7.jpgVinnie11.jpg

Vinnie15.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Vinnie - Viscount caravan renovation

Looks fantastic @Peggers. Congrats. 

This is another good opportunity to plug your guides to buying, renovating and decorating a retro van. Looking forward to seeing how your work inspires other members to tackle their own caravan reno projects. 

Thanks for sharing,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Looks fantastic, I just brought a viscount that I want to fix up and use a mobile shop, admittedly I have a long way to go, the wooden hard wood frame work is rotten. It was once a mobile video shop in Toowoomba, I have decided that I love the retro shape.
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Heya @Hughesey, welcome to Workshop. 

Congrats on your exciting new purchase. You might like to hit the start a discussion button, share some photos and ask some questions. I'm sure experienced caravan renovators in the community like @Peggers would love to see it and be happy to share some tips about next steps. Hopefully Rob's step-by-step advice also proves helpful. We're looking forward to seeing how the project progresses.

Many thanks for joining the community. Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site. 

Jason

WrightReno
Just Starting Out

Hi, looks awesome! I love seeing something like that come to life again!! I am a Cabinetmaker and also an Electrician, I renovate caravans and motor homes! If anyone need any assistance or good friendly advice pleas feel free to ask.

Many thanks for joining in the discussion @WrightReno. We look forward to reading all about your projects and plans as it sounds like you have a load of experience, skills and expertise to share with the community.

Perhaps you could kick off by assisting @Annette7 on this post - https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Outdoor/caravan-paint/m-p/32176 - I'm sure you will appreciate your help. 

Welcome to Workshop,

Jason

tassie_dreaming
Just Starting Out

@Peggers 

Hi there, have just found this discussion thread and your caravan looks just the same as mine! Wondering if you know what year/model it is as I have no info on mine. I haven't seen any other caravans with the two rear porthole windows and was thrilled to see yours had a bunk bed so I'm guessing mine used to as well, although probably on both sides as I have portholes on both sides at the rear. Same configuration inside which I'm also looking to do up as close to original as possible. Any info would be appreciated. Cheers!

Hi @tassie_dreaming. Are you able to post a photo of your van and the chassis number from your drawbar please? From appearance, Peggers Viscount Ambassador looks 1971/72 while mine is a 1973, main difference being the door type, mine has a window while his has the earlier one.  Mine is still very much a work in progress with only the outside completed. The 2 original layout interior photos are not mine but saved for inspiration for when I get back to working on her. I also have the bunk windows on both sides. 

IMG_20190406_172711_resized_20190408_074621241.jpg
71 Ambassador3.jpg  71 Ambassador5.jpg

Instagram @twocutekelpies
tarsha
Just Starting Out

Hi @Peggers  can you please tell me what model caravan this is? Cheers, Tash

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @tarsha

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining the discussion.

Let me tag @Peggers to make them aware of your question. If I recall correctly this is a Viscount Caravan and could possibly be classified as an "Ambassador" model. If you have a quick look at @twocutekelpies post, there was a very good description of the model type. We'll have to wait for @Peggers to confirm what year the caravan was made so that we can get a better idea of its model.

If you're planning your own caravan renovation, please make sure to post an update. I'm sure our members will be keen to see how you'll be transforming your caravan.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects