Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What double sided tape for car dash cam and mobile?

ColinL
Growing in Experience

What double sided tape for car dash cam and mobile?

Hi, I am hoping a Bunnings expert can please advise which is the best doubled sided 3m tape (or square) to stick a dash cam onto the windshield and mobile mount onto the dashboard.

Thanks heaps in advance,

Colin 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What double sided tape for car dash cam and mobile?

Hi @ColinL,

I'd recommend either Scotch™ 2.54 x 152.4cm Clear Mount Double-Sided Mounting Tape, or if you're game, you could use the Scotch-Mount Extreme Double-Sided Mounting Tape 2.5cm x 1.5m. Be warned, though, the latter might be hard to remove if you ever need to. 

Regardless of the mounting tape you use, it will only ever adhere as well as the effort you put into preparing the area. The tape will peel off if you don't clean the surface and remove all traces of dust and oils. I suggest giving the surfaces a good clean with warm water and a couple of drops of dishwashing liquid using a lint-free cloth. Rinse the areas with plain water to remove any traces of soap. Then, which is especially important, clean the areas with isopropyl alcohol and wait for it to evaporate. Give it another wipe with a clean cloth to ensure there is no remaining alcohol, and adhere your mounting tape. Remember your PPE when using this product, including suitable protective clothing, gloves and eye/face protection. It's also a good idea to do a test section on your plastic in an inconspicuous area to make sure there are no adverse effects.

With the above cleaning instructions, you'll give the tape the best chance of withstanding the extreme temperatures the interior of a car is subjected to.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ColinL
Growing in Experience

You are a legend thank you very much for the detailed information Mitchell!

Cheers,

Colin

image.jpg

Hi Mitchel,

I was searching out options for car dashboard you know the soft rubber like plastic material, I tried gorilla mounting tape, but it won’t stick to the surface, I don’t want to use super glue as it would damage the surface, one of the YouTube video said 3m VHB tape but Bunnings doesn’t have exactly that tape. Would you recommend sometime tried and tested, I am just trying to attach some bobbleheads and all.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @sidbose1987. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about double-sided tape.

You're in luck as the Scotch-Mount Extreme Double-Sided Mounting Tape 2.5cm x 1.5m is the VHB (very high bond) from 3M. They use that technology in their 'Extreme' range. Just make sure to clean the surface with some alcohol and a clean wipe and allow it to dry before adhering the tape. It's best to do a test section in an inconspicuous location with the alcohol to ensure it doesn't damage the dash surface.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Thanks Mitchell for the response, I didn't know we have this wonderful community managed by bunnings to help naive users like me. Will try that tape and confirm here for others. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @sidbose1987 

Please keep us updated with your progress. We look forward to seeing your car accessories mounted.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

sidbose1987
Getting Established

IMG_5046.jpeg

It came out pretty well. When I started with a small piece of tape to try on it won’t stick but then I just plunged all in and it did do well. Pretty stable too.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @sidbose1987 

Thanks for sharing that update regarding your car dash accessory. It's good to hear that it is stable and staying put. 

If you need assistance, with any other project, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects