Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is equivalent to 'Slurry Mix' in NZ?

folubode
Growing in Experience

What is equivalent to 'Slurry Mix' in NZ?

Hi there, am watching this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y6Rmd-4DKc and they made reference to "slurry mix" which I need to back fill my inground pool. The question is what is equivalent to that in NZ? I tried builder mix and it's not firming up. Now thinking of mixing the builder mix with "no steel concrete" (https://www.bunnings.co.nz/cemix-20kg-no-steel-concrete_p0287961) but thought I should check with experienced people here please. thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What is equivalent to 'Slurry Mix' in NZ?

Hi @folubode,

A slurry mix is an inexpensive concrete and could be equated to an extended concrete mix. It doesn't have the same strength rating as a standard concrete mix. As far as I'm aware, this is just really an American term. A slurry mix in AU or NZ would just be your mixed concrete. You could add additional sand and water to make it go further, and that would be similar to what is being referred to in the video.

The Builder's cement would be fine, but it doesn't have aggregate or sand in it as concrete does, which helps bind it. I suspect there is another reason it's not setting for you.

As far as I can see, the reason for adding this mix is to prevent the sides of the pool from collapsing. Please be advised that if you intend to sink the pool deep into the soil, there is a real risk of soil collapse, especially in heavy rains. Please check with your local council/building authority to ensure what you intend on constructing is compliant with code. You're essentially building a retaining wall, and you might find there are rules and regulations associated with that. American construction codes are very loose compared to what we have over here.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
folubode
Growing in Experience

Re: What is equivalent to 'Slurry Mix' in NZ?

Thanks Mitchell. The pool is originally inground pool (picture 1) with thin metal sheet lined with vynil liner. What am trying to do is to recycle the pool from it's original site in picture 1 to my property. However, I wanted to install copping edges (as in pucture 2) which I think should sit on a firm backfill to avoid caving in.  It's a small pool, so it doesn't require council's checking as have discussed with council.

picture 1picture 1

picture 2picture 2

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects