Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is the best and most cost-effective material for a trailer?

Monument
Building a Reputation

What is the best and most cost-effective material for a trailer?

Hi everyone,

I am buying the trailer in the attached picture. As you can see there is no surface on either side of the central channel. I need advice as to what material will easily bear weight 100kg+ and be able to withstand weather. I wish to achieve a balance between budget and effectiveness. 

All help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers.

da369ff90a0e0f8d22c574499622986a.jpg

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Advice needed - Best cost effective material for Trailer

61ac7b5575779337f47108d1ece3dc185f3301e9441c73a7b3dcc6a3df918379b6f06ea069a362bbba794e69f55fc6ac2d18bedb0686ce35ec5ff365520db2b4

Some photos I found, looks like they have used formply and there is a bracket already welded on the rail.

There doesn't seem to be great support between the back and the offset center rail so the ply may have some spring in it.

There are some extra holes in the rail so the chock can be moved back to make room for a tool box at the front.

r23on
Amassing an Audience

The top left photo shows the ramp held down my a retaining bolt and the bottom right photo shows the bracket where the ramp is locked into place by the retaining bolts. when looking at the video there is not much support for much at all. As @Monument stated in an earlier post the formply was the choice of the buyer. I would say the design of the trailer is based more about lightweight and cost rather than having extras mounted on the trailer. Like me I think you would have retrofitted a whole range of options or changes 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGMw5E5zA0k 

Monument
Building a Reputation

Just wanted to thank @r23on @TedBear  and @Brad for info and advice on the trailer. Ended up going with 17mm form ply and U-bolts to secure the "running boards" and some old suspension outer tubes and U-bolts to secure the toolbox. Just needs a bit of a tidy up now.

Has already had a test run down to Collie for a track day and noted how much more economical it was towing a much lighter weight. No difficulties with securing the bike etc.

Cheers.

Nearly Done.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'm glad that worked out for you, @Monument. I'm sure @r23on@TedBear and @Brad will be pleased to hear their advice assisted.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects