Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is the best varnish for front step?

mikamikira
Getting Established

What is the best varnish for front step?

20240316_160951.jpgThe varnish on my front door step has come off. I didn't originally paint it, it was painted when we moved in. What sort of tinted varnish should I buy?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Best varnish for front step

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @mikamikira. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about restoring a front step.

You might like to upload some images of the step to give our helpful members a better idea of what you're working with. That way, they'll be able to offer comprehensive advice about your situation. Let me know if you need help uploading images.

Once you've sanded back the deteriorated varnish and removed it, you can apply Cabot's CFP⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠ to provide a clear, hardwearing coating to protect the timber. If you'd like to colour the timber before applying the hard coating, you can do so with Cabot's stain in your desired choice of colours.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Is it possible to get a varnish with the colour already in it?

I've added a photo. you can see the side that is protected by the door when the door is shut. I want to try and get it back to that colour.

Hi @mikamikira,

Unfortunately, these polyurethane floor coatings require you to apply the stain separately. Stain and varnish all-in-one products are only suitable for furniture that doesn't see the wear and tear from foot traffic. 

The most efficient approach would be the sand both the interior and exterior of the door sill to remove all of the existing coating, re-stain and coat with the CFP.

Mitchell

I appreciate the advice. Don't suppose  you can tell me what the colour is that it was last painted with?

That's a bit difficult, @mikamikira, which is why I recommend sanding it all back. That way, you'll be able to pick a similar colour. It would be almost impossible to match it exactly. It's potentially something similar to a Walnut, but it might be best to pick up some stain and do a little test section in the corner to see if you are happy with the colour before committing to the whole sill.

Mitchell

I appreciate that. I will have to pick out some products then. That stain you linked is internal use, not external

Now that you mention it, so is the CFP @mikamikira. It's a bit of a trade-off, as technically, you shouldn't use the interior products if exposed to the weather. But, there are no exterior products that are hardwearing enough or designed for floors. There is the Cabot's exterior varnish stain, which would do a reasonable job and have protection from the elements. 

It might be best to go for the exterior stain and varnish as the deterioration you've seen on the outside portion of the sill is likely due to interior products being used on it.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects