Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is the best way to fix deck stain?

MFdeck
Just Starting Out

What is the best way to fix deck stain?

We had a small merbau deck installed just over a year ago, and originally it had a beautiful natural looking stain using Cabot's deck and exterior stain (water based).

After about 6 weeks, we applied another 2 coats of the stain ourselves, but this changed the look to a more plastic, uniform look (see 3rd picture).

The advice at the time was that we had probably used too much and to leave it, skip adding any more stain this year and let it weather, but one year on (4th picture closeup), it doesn't look overly close to returning to the original look.

Would the best way forward be to continue leaving it? Sand it all back and re-stain? Or something else?

I'd be grateful for any suggestions or even just knowing if this has happened to others using the Cabot's product. Thanks in advance.

IMG_20221011_163949.jpg

IMG_20221012_144525.jpg

20221126_152934.jpg

20231112_170612.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What is the best way to fix deck stain?

Hello @MFdeck 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about deck stains.

When seasoned decking timber is coated with deck stain it absorbs it and serves as a topcoat sealer. The second coat is like an extra layer of protection but is not absorbed as deeply as the first coat. If a third coat was applied, it would end up drying on top of the second coat and not get absorbed at all. The pigments would dry up on top and producing the finish that you have right now.

In order to get that original look back, I suggest sanding the surface back to timber and recoating the surface with only two coats. I commend you on your diligence and your desire to protect the decking panels. However, I suggest re-staining the deck only if the surface starts to show deterioration.

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects