Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What outdoor tile grout to use?

kerry65
Growing in Experience

What outdoor tile grout to use?

what would be the best outdoor grout to use for tiles. They will get wet possibly freeze/dry conditions.what should I seal it with.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: outdoor grout

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @kerry65. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about exterior grout.

Cement-based grouts can be quite susceptible to damage from sub-zero conditions that occur immediately after they have been used and whilst they still have a high moisture content. Once they have set, damage is less likely to happen, but they can still be prone to cracking. After the weekend, I'll need to call a few of our suppliers to see if they have any grouts suitable for freeze/thaw conditions.

Many thanks for your patience.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What outdoor tile grout to use?

Hi @kerry65,

I've spoken to a couple of our suppliers, and they agree with the main concern being freeze/thaw conditions whilst the grout is curing and still has water content. It's best to do this job in the warmer months. Suppose you're concerned about cracking after the curing period. In that case, I suggest going with Dunlop 3.25kg Easy Clean Epoxy Grout Kit, which will prevent water absorption more readily than cement-based grouts. It's this absorbed water that swells and shrinks in freeze/thaw conditions and cracks tiles and grout. 

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
kerry65
Growing in Experience

Re: What outdoor tile grout to use?

Thanks very helpful

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects