Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What paint to use for outdoor eaves?

Marley15
Just Starting Out

What paint to use for outdoor eaves?

Hi  I just want to know if I can use indoor ceiling paint for under eaves outside and the carport  ceiling. 

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: What paint to use for outdoor eaves?

Hi @Marley15,

First, let me send you a warm welcome from the Bunnings Workshop community. It is wonderful you have joined us and asked for advice regarding your outdoor eaves and carport ceiling. You'll find Workshop to be a great source of inspiration and advice on all things DIY and garden. 

Our resident DIY guru @EricL will be on later in the afternoon but let me tag @CSParnell and @TedBear to see if they have any suggestions in the meantime. In the meantime have a read through Eric's how to choose the right paint for the job article as you might find it helpful. 

Please do not hesitate to reach out with more questions. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: painting outdoor eaves

Hello @Marley15

My apologies for the late reply. I recommend using exterior paint with a low sheen, this is to prevent it from picking up dust and dirt, plus giving it a similar look to the ceiling finish indoors. Unfortunately, ceiling paint is not formulated for outside use and has no UV defence additives in it. Please remember to prep your surface adequately before you start painting it.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide:  How to paint a ceiling.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

raf
Just Starting Out

Hi. Regarding eave painting using Berger solar shield. If there are some water marks, will the Berger acrylic be painted straight over this?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @raf 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us.

I'm sorry but I'm not familiar with the covering properties of the Berger solar shield. However, in regards to your question about water marks, I suggest first repairing any leaks there might be in the roof before you start painting otherwise the water mark will appear again.

If the leak has been repaired, I suggest using Zinsser 1L Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Undercoat Primer Sealer Stain Blocker to prime the surface and hide the water stain. I recommend a minimum of two coats and letting it cure properly before applying your choice of topcoat.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects