Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What product should I use to seal a mirror to put in the garden to protect against rust etc?

oliviacraig3
Just Starting Out

What product should I use to seal a mirror to put in the garden to protect against rust etc?

Hi, I recently bought this mirror from kmart and want to leave it in the garden.

What can I use to pre-treat it to protect it against rain etc?

https://www.kmart.com.au/product/arch-mirror/2592320

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What product should I use to seal a mirror to put in the garden to protect against rust etc?

Hello @oliviacraig3

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining us and sharing your question about protecting your garden mirror from rust.

The mirror you have purchased is intended for internal use. One way we can protect it is by applying paint intended for external use. Looking at your mirror it is made of three parts. The frame, mirror, and backing board. You will need to disassemble the mirror so that you can apply paint to its structure to protect it from rain and humidity.

I suggest using Rust-Oleum 340g 2X Ultra Cover Paint+Prime Gloss Black Spray Paint to protect the frame, backing board, and the back of the mirror. I recommend putting masking tape to prevent overspray from getting to the front of the mirror. Once the paint has cured you can re-assemble the mirror and now leave it outside. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: What product should I use to seal a mirror to put in the garden to protect against rust etc?

Thanks so much Eric! That's very helpful. Do i need to apply anything to the mirror itself to protect it?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @oliviacraig3 

I suggest using Rain-x 473ml Water Repellent Glass Treatment, it helps prevent soap scum, hard water deposit, and grime build-up on glass shower doors. It should provide your mirror with adequate protection while exposed to the elements. The other way to keep the mirror clean is to use a Squeegee right after a heavy downpour. Keeping the mirror clean will prevent grime build-up on its surface.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects