Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What sleepers for pergola posts?

ianm64
Just Starting Out

What sleepers for pergola posts?

laminated_post.PNG

I'm planning on building a pergola with posts sized 200mm x 150mm.

Hardwood post of this size is quite expensive and so instead, I'm thinking of putting (laminating) together three(3) 200mm x 50mm Sleepers (Ironwood H4 Sienna MicroPro) to come up with a single 200mm x 150mm post.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/200-x-50mm-3-0m-sleeper-h4-sienna-micropro_p8423134

However, I'm not 100% sure if it will be structurally sound for a pergola post. But I think it would be given that the pergola roof is light-weight. My other concern is the possibility of the laminated sleeper post warping over time.

I would appreciate to get some comments from the group.

Regards.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Sleepers for Pergola Posts

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @ianm64. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about building a pergola.

Unfortunately, sleepers are not structurally rated and can't be used for weight-bearing purposes. They're purely for retaining walls and garden beds. 

What was the reasoning behind using a post of that size? It appears exceptionally large for your proposed use. Is it for aesthetical reasons? If so, I'd suggest you use standard 90 x 90mm 3.0m Post GL17 Merbau Laminated DAR or 90 x 90mm 3.0m Post F7 H4 Treated Pine Premium KD posts and clad them with your sleepers.

If the use of such large calibre timber is due to its weight-bearing characteristics, it's a good indicator that more posts need to be added to the design instead of upping the size of the post.

Check out this helpful step-by-step guide: How to build a pergola frame.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about your design choices. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for the quick response and comments - really appreciated.

Yes, the large post size (200mm x 150mm) is mainly for aesthetic reason only - not so much for weight-bearing.

Any thoughts about possibility of sleepers warping over time?

I guess 3x sleepers laminated together will have very small chance of warping, or I could be wrong.

Thanks again.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

There is a good chance of them warping @ianm64. To be clear, you shouldn't use sleepers as the posts for your pergola. Not only do they not comply with building codes and council regulations, they would also be dangerous. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you for your advise.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects