Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What tiles and adhesive to use over fibre cement sheet?

AJ-DIYer
Building a Reputation

What tiles and adhesive to use over fibre cement sheet?

Hi 

I've built a stud wall on one side of my alfrsco to close it off. Above section is plantation shutters and the bottom section is covered by fibre cement sheet. These sheets were purchased from bunnings

https://www.bunnings.com.au/james-hardie-hardietex-2440-x-1200-x-7-5mm-cladding-2-93m-_p0718233#

I would like to buy some tiles and adhesives to put over these sheets which will be behind the outdoor kitchen. So needs to be both weather and heat proof. 

1. What adhesives can I get for the tiles?

2. What tiles range should I be looking for? 

3. Do I need to get a Filler like we use for gybrock wall to fill in the gaps between the cement sheets or just the adhesive would do?

A photo of this wall (not completely done yet) is attached. 

1000013092.jpg

Thanks.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: what tiles and adhesive to use over fibre cement sheet

Hi @AJ-DIYer,

I presume you'll be sealing the exterior of your Hardietex wall with cladding and a water-impervious layer like sarking, so you can use standard exterior wall tile adhesive over it. 

Standard ceramic wall tiles can be used for your project. However, you'll need to abide by the setbacks specified in your outdoor kitchen manual.

Hardie compound base coat is used for your joints in conjunction with reinforcement tape.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
AJ-DIYer
Building a Reputation

Thanks @MitchellMc 

Am I not able to apply the tile adhesive directly over the board instead of using sarking? Sarking seems to be very expensive. 

Does the base coat apply only around the joint areas? Also does it go over the sarking?

Thank you. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @AJ-DIYer,

Sarking goes on the rear side of the board to prevent moisture ingress. On the other side of the framework, what's going there?

Basecoat only needs to be applied to the joints. It and the reinforcement tape prevent movement and potential cracking at the joints.

Mitchell

AJ-DIYer
Building a Reputation

Hi @MitchellMc 

Nothing on the other side just about 90cm away from the colourbond fence. Fully exposed to outside. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

So you'll be leaving the exposed timber framework on the other side @AJ-DIYer? Typically, you'd add a sarking layer and then sheet the rear side with Hardietex as well. I have concerns about rain and moisture penetrating the rear side of the sheet and adversely affecting your tile adhesive.

Mitchell 

AJ-DIYer
Building a Reputation

Sure I understand.

Where would this sarkling layer go exactly? Over the board?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

You'd attach it over the exposed stud work at the rear, and then the rear boards would be installed over it @AJ-DIYer.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects