Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What timber to use for outdoor dining table?

SteveC
Cultivating a Following

What timber to use for outdoor dining table?

Hi all,

I am planning on building an outdoor dining table but am unsure what timber to use. Pine is  inexpensive and easy to work with but I doubt it would survive long term outdoors. The table will be out in the weather at all times, not under cover. I do not want to go to the hassle of pulling pallets apart. I have already tried that and found it too difficult.

Regards,

Steve

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Timber advice needed

Hi @SteveC

Thank you for sharing your question about what timber to use for an outdoor dining table. I suggest having a look at this discussion - Custom industrial outdoor table by @ogosh. They built their table using Sienna MicroPro slabs, but their original plan was to use SpecRite 1800 x 902mm 84/44mm Fence Panel Merbau Slats which are both viable materials for use outdoors. My number one recommendation for your table is to use an Exterior Varnish to seal and protect the timber from the weather.

Please keep us updated without progress, we look forward to seeing your outdoor table assembled.

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration: Top 10 most popular outdoor furniture projects

Here are some amazing outdoor tables our Workshop members have shared:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects