Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What varnish to use on sandpit for weatherproofing?

April72
Finding My Feet

What varnish to use on sandpit for weatherproofing?

Screenshot_20221028-071018_Chrome.jpg

 Hi Everyone, I am after some advice please, I just purchased this sandpit from bunnings and want to weatherproof it with varnish, what is the best product to use? Thank you for your help and time.  😀

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Sandpit varnish

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @April72. It's marvellous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about protecting exterior timber.

Applying any exterior timber varnish will seal the timber preventing moisture absorption and decay. I've always recommended Bondall 1L Monocel Gold Marine Clear Timber Varnish and have seen great results. Regardless of the product you use, the key to success will be covering all surfaces, including in between the boards, both sides, ends and especially where the timber sits on the ground. As long as you give the wood a thorough coating of varnish on all sides, you'll see the lifespan of the sandpit extended substantially.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
April72
Finding My Feet

Re: What varnish to use on sandpit for weatherproofing?

Hi Mitchell,

Thank you so very much for your help and advice, I will definitely follow your tips and get the varnish you have reccommended. Will post once I've finished. Have a wonderful day 😀 

April72
Finding My Feet

Sandpit

received_728734992109072.jpeg

received_689476775953816.jpeg

Hi team, I finished the sandpit I brought from you and varnished it, worked out a absolute treat, thanks so very much for your advice on varnish..have a wonderful day 😀 

received_718468929604502.jpeg

  

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Sandpit

Looks fantastic @April72. Well done and many thanks for sharing the end result. I'm sure your kids will have many hours of fun.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects