Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What weather-proofing, clear sealer to use?

querencia
Building a Reputation

What weather-proofing, clear sealer to use?

I have a collection of old painted front doors which I’m going to install in my garden. As they’ll be exposed to sun, wind and rain I’m searching for a clear, weather-proofing sealer that can be used over old paint without destroying it. I’m very happy with their current shabby pastel appearance and don’t want to change it. I just want to preserve the paint and the doors themselves. 

0A44CC44-DAA4-4956-81AA-01E39BE56A8A.jpeg

8B9C7C8F-5F50-4163-AAE8-F6AD5A21168B.jpeg

C8BEA4DE-6DFB-4E7F-8B73-E17CAD37CBD2.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What weather-proofing, clear sealer to use?

Hi @querencia,

A few unknowns are going on here. Namely, what type of paint is on the doors and its condition. Is it oil-based or water-based, and are the coatings already compromised and powdery? Are these actually vintage doors with original coatings, or has someone else created this aged look on them? I suspect someone has created this look. Do you happen to know what paint was used?

If it's the original paint, it's likely to be oil-based. If it is, then Cabot's 1L Satin Clear Exterior Timber Finish could be used over them. I'd encourage you to do a test section in an inconspicuous location to see if you are happy with the results and ensure no compatibility issues. It will alter the look slightly as satin is the lowest sheen available. The other option is Dulux 325g Duramax Matt Clear Coat Spray Paint or Rust-Oleum 298g 2X Ultra Cover Satin Clear Spray Paint, though they could possibly fry and crackle the existing paint.

There are no dedicated exterior paint sealers available, so it's a matter of experimenting with clear exterior finishes to see what might be compatible.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
querencia
Building a Reputation

Hi Mitchel,

thanx for your reply. Yes, they are actual vintage doors and yes they have been repainted to create the shabby, pastel look. 
I have pots of touch-up paint for 2 of them. The other 5 are unknowns. The surfaces are somewhat compromised but they’re not powdery. I suspect they’ve all been painted with water based paint as they’re very matt. 
I’ll try the Dulux and Rustoleum products you recommended on the bottom of the doors and let you know how I go. Thanx for your advice :smile:

I'll be keen to see your results @querencia. Keep us updated and reach out if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects