Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What wood finish products should I use for my external wood step tread?

Fasteel
Just Starting Out

What wood finish products should I use for my external wood step tread?

Hi Guys,

I am currently trying to build an external stair which provides access to an elevated deck. I bought a 2 Tread Steel Stair Stringer (https://www.bunnings.com.au/peak-products-black-2-tread-steel-stair-stringer_p0083610) and 2 pieces of H3 Treated Pine wood stair tread (https://www.bunnings.com.au/240-x-45mm-0-9m-stair-tread-h3-treated-pine-domestic-use-900mm_p0052940)

I think it is better to do something to the wood tread so that they will last longer, for example painting them? or oil them. I don't have any knowledge in terms of treating / painting external wood. Can any experience DIYer recommend some suitable products my my project? Please also give me a brief about how to apply the products if possible. Thanks very much. 

Four your information, there are the following description in the link above for the wood stair tread product: 

• The treads are made from H3, LOSP Treated Pine, suitable for above ground outdoor use. Timber is a naturally occurring material which can have variations in colour & texture.

Possibility of sap leakage, therefore it is imperative to use an Oil based paint with primer. Speak to a team member in Paint to ensure you select the correct paint required for Treated Pine.

Due to weather climate differences Australia Wide try and dry timber properly prior to painting for approximately 2 weeks.   

Jason

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What wood finish products should I use for my external wood step tread?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community Jason (@Fasteel). It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about finishing timber.

As the step treads are already suitably treated for above-ground external use, there is no requirement to coat them. However, either applying an oil or oil-based exterior paint could help extend the timbers life even further. I'd recommend an oil to help preserve the timber as the lowest sheen in exterior oil-based paint would be satin, and although not a gloss, it could become quite slick in the wet. It would not be a good idea to coat the steps with anything that could become slippery, as it's a huge safety risk. Stick with with a Natural Decking Oil.

You can apply the oil with a brush or application pad and it's a super simple project. Here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to oil your deck. Although the guide in on decks, it's a very similar process.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: What wood finish products should I use for my external wood step tread?

Hi Mitchell, 

Thanks very much for your reply. I will try the products you recommended. 

Regards, 

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects