Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Which face to have up on Merbau decking?

Aisbett1_11
Finding My Feet

Which face to have up on Merbau decking?

The things I want to know here is : when lay the Merbau Deck Board which side is face up and which side is on bottom .

Because I look at the Board two side are the same .

Any one can help or give the idea , how to look at that case . 

Thanks 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Which face to have up on Merbau decking

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Aisbett1_11. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about laying decking boards.

If your Merbau boards don't have ribs on one side and both sides are smooth, either can be placed downwards. The only time there is a top and bottom of the board is when ribs are on one side. These ribs always go downwards. I've included a rendering to illustrate.

Also, check out @Adam_W's guide on How to build a low-level deck which I trust will answer many of your other decking related questions.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

Ribs.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Aisbett1_11
Finding My Feet

Hi , I thanks for that and very appreciated .

another things I want to know , is the decking above the ground ( 220 mm ) , I use treated pine timber H3 for joist and bearer .

Now the question is , I want put Bitumen paint on top of the timber ( joist and bearer ) , or the Seal tap on top of them .

Are they either one can help keep protect the timber longer run ?

Any one can help any idea for that . 

Thanks 

Either the joist protector tape or bitumen paint will extend the life of your decking timbers @Aisbett1_11. If your timber joists are close to the ground, you might also like to paint the underside of them too.

They would both be great precautions to take against the early onset of decay on a low-level deck project.

Mitchell

Hi Mit.

Thanks for that .

For the Merbau decking board 90 mm x 19 mm , I want use stainless screw size 45 mm long , is it ok ?

Thankyou if have any suggestion .

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Aisbett1_11

I recommend using Macsim 10G-10 x 65mm 304 Stainless Steel Torx Decking Screws - 500 Pack. The T-25 Torx Head offers 6 points of contact offering better grip for the driver bit, which helps avoid slippage when installing the screw into the timber. It has a self embedding head for ease of installation.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your deck fully assembled.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Hi EricL ,

Thanks your suggestion to using Macsim  stainless steel Torx Screws . It's really value money , if compare with other Brand.

Now the deck is going to final step , is laying Merbau board .

I want to ask , The board are new , Do i need apply paint  over the new Board ?

Any suggestion from you is appreciated .

Thankyou

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Aisbett1_11

I suggest having a look at this guide - How to stain and protect decking timber by @Adam_W. The guide will give you the basics of how long to wait and how to choose your decking stain. In regards to your question, yes you can either paint it or stain it. Because it is brand new, I recommend waiting 8 to 12 weeks to let all the tannins and natural oil inside the timber come out. If you paint or stain too early, you won't get a uniform finish and part of your stain may come off.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to stain a deck.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects