Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Which oil to use when restoring outdoor furniture?

James_M
Growing in Experience

Which oil to use when restoring outdoor furniture?

 Hi,

I am looking to see which oil would suit to oil the outdoor furniture in the photo? (furniture has faded a little since photo) Is teak oil suitable (the wood is not jarrah wood but not sure what it is). I'll also be doing a sand back but not sure what other prep needs to be done. 

Any help is appreciated.

20221119_160154.jpg

20221120_181032.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What oil to use on outdoor furniture

Hi @James_M,

I'd recommend you sand any rough surfaces to remove splinters. You can then scrub down the furniture with Feast Watson 1L Woodclean, as this will remove the vast amount of water staining and will hopefully prevent you from having to sand all the furniture. After that, apply the furniture oil of your choice. There's Feast Watson 1L Clear Outdoor Furniture Oil, which will enhance the natural timber colour, or if you'd like to colour the timber, you could go with Feast Watson 1L Teak Outdoor Furniture Oil. That's not just for teak furniture; it's in reference to the teak colourant added to the oil. It is best to do a test section in an inconspicuous area to ensure you're happy with the colour before attempting all the furniture.

Remember you're PPE, especially when using the Woodclean product, including safety glasses, a face mask, acid-resistant gloves, long-sleeved shirt and trousers and enclosed footwear.

Here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to renew your timber outdoor furniture.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mdstorrs
Building a Reputation

Hi Mitchell
I am also looking at restoring my furniture. I purchased this many years ago and as you can see it is well overdue. 
I have since thoroughly cleaned the furniture and it is ready to oil.  What oil is recommended for the pictures below?  Is there a chance I can make them slightly darker (maybe more red) than the original? The furniture nearby is a Merbau. 

PXL_20240404_072217251.MP.jpgPXL_20240409_072122604.MP.jpgPXL_20240409_073002243.MP.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @mdstorrs 

Thanks for sharing your question about your outdoor, timber furniture. Looking at the photo, I suggest sanding the surface with 240grit sandpaper until all the old sealer is gone. As it is right now application of the furniture oil might come out uneven as there are parts of the table that could possibly still be sealed. 

If that is the case, applying timber oil on the unsanded surface might produce a blotchy, uneven finish.

I propose having a look at the Cabot's 1L Water Based Merbau Garden Furniture Oil. I suggest testing a small section that is not visible so that you can see how the oil works on the timber. If you are happy with the outcome, you can then commit all of the furniture.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please tell us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects