Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Which wood is recommended for an A-Frame Cubby frame and sheeting to withstand the weather?

taniarita
Finding My Feet

Which wood is recommended for an A-Frame Cubby frame and sheeting to withstand the weather?

Trying my hand at an A-Frame Cubby for my kids and am wondering which wood is best for the frame and also sheeting? 

To be honest I'm leaning more towards polycarbonate roofing sheets but would like to know my options.

Your suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Which wood is recommended for an A-Frame Cubby frame and sheeting to withstand the weather?

hi @taniarita 

Nice project for you a cubby build.  Basically 75 mm  x 35mm  pine is plenty sturdy and if  sealed  with paint quite weather resistant,

I also think todays treated pine should be usable to especially painted and sealed of the same size especially any timber touching the ground .

Poly carbonate sheeting will work as wall panels and there is the classic metal abd polycarbonate coloured roofing  panels in  corregated iron profile or  use color bond infill panels just be sure to cover sharp edges .

Be mind full some of the poly carbonate sheets are pretty flimsy these days. and may need more cross supports.

The  traditional over lapping weather boards hold a classic appeal and are tried and true

These  ideas just  for starters.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Which wood is recommended for an A-Frame Cubby frame and sheeting to withstand the weather?

Hello @taniarita 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your cubby house.

I suggest having a look at Sunlite 8 1.2 x 0.61m Clear Twinwall Polycarbonate Sheet. It has high thermal insulation and is weather and UV resistant. It has excellent structural durability and is Lightweight and impact resistant.

In regards to the framing, I suggest using 70 x 35mm Framing MGP10 Untreated Pine 2.4m. You can also use Merbau timber panels. Although it will be necessary to season the Merbau panels, they will last quite a long time even out in the open.

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration: Top 10 most popular cubby house projects.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Looking forward to seeing your cubby house project come together @taniarita. Please provide regularly updates during the build. 

Welcome to the community.

Jason

Thank you so it much for sharing your knowledge. 

Thanks heaps Eric. 

I'm heading to bunnings today!!

Almost done gathering materials.

Happy to share my progress ☺️

Here's my inspiration pic! Wish me luck!

image-asset.jpeg

Looking forward to seeing your progress soon @taniarita. Please keep us updated and let us know if you need anything.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects