Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Would glueing thin rubber to the bottom of a shoe help with a worn sole?

Yongman
Just Starting Out

Would glueing thin rubber to the bottom of a shoe help with a worn sole?

I got so nice dress-shoes from a salvo's, but the soul is quite worn and I’m wondering if I were to glue a thin rubber sheet to the soul if that would work to extend the life of the shoe 

JDE
Becoming a Leader

Re: would glueing thin rubber to the bottom of a shoe help with a worn soul

@Yongman 

Yes it will, lots of people get it done. Personally ive had it done to many of my riding boots. I had a pair of rm Williams with leather soles that were wearing thin and got them done not only did i get double the life out of them they ended up with much better grip. You used to be able to buy sole rubber kits (if you cant find them locally you can get them on ebay). Personally i used to take mine to boot/ key guy so sorry cant help with process. I do know he used to use contact to glue them on. JDE

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: would glueing thin rubber to the bottom of a shoe help with a worn soul

Hello @Yongman

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining us and sharing your question about gluing thin rubber to the bottom of shoes.

It's great that you've received fantastic advice from @JDE. The short answer is yes, you can glue rubber to the bottom of your shoe to extend its life. I recommend using Selleys 50ml Shoe Fix Contact Adhesive to stick a flat piece of rubber to the bottom of the shoe and using a Stanley 9mm Medium Duty Snap Blade Knife to trim the excess rubber off.

There are fantastic guides online on how to fix the rubber sole of your shoes. If you are planning to fix your shoes, please post an update. I'm sure our members would love to see how you fixed your shoes.

We look forward to seeing your shoes fixed.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects