Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

bearer to post connection

Crash76
Getting Established

bearer to post connection

Might be a silly question, but whats the best method to connect two 90 x 45 bearers to timber stumps of 100 x 100?

If they are to sit both on top of the post, are metal straps an acceptable method of attaching, or do i need to notch the post only  slightly on each side, then coach bolt through both bearers?  If i go option 2, does this stop it being as strong as if they were glued and nailed?

any other suggestions appreciated!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: bearer to post connection

There are no silly questions @Crash76.

Let me tag @ProjectPete who might like to kick off on this topic.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Crash76 

This is the strongest bearer to stump connection - https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Gallery/Decking-frame-bearer-stump-rebate/cns-p/33659. It's not necessary/ideal to fix the bearers on top of the stumps, that'll increase the depth of the hole and length of bearer and amount of concrete needed to set each post too.

Can you send a sketch of your design to better understand how you're going about this? Generally speaking you'd want to use a wider bearer like at least 120mm but ideally 140mm. Take advantage of using ledgers on walls, etc where possible.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Totally agree with Jason and Pete here, having a pic or something to go on would be awesome.

I also don't know that strapping timber together is the best idea anyway, as strapping has a habit of being tensioned on one side and loose on the other as the timber moves?

I hope that makes some sense......

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Sorry Pete,
I wasn't sure what a stump meant.
Looking at your photo, the only way I can see of doing that properly is by using bolts, wether they be hot-dipped galv or stainless, people seem to only go for the minimal zinc-coated.
The last deck I built for a mate used 12mm stainless threaded rod and nylock nuts for all of the lower deck stuff.

@MikeTNZ M12 Cuphead Bolts, either Galv or Treated Pine even better, secure the bearer to the stump/post - I was just showing the joinery.

----------
Handy and helpful

HI Pete, is there a maximum you can notch into the post? In this picture it looks like you have gone in half the width of the post ,D/2 ?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @liv,

Let me mention @ProjectPete so he is alerted to your question, I trust he'll be able to answer it for you.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Yes @liv  D/2 as you've put it. Don't exceed half the width of the stump/post

----------
Handy and helpful

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects