Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

is it possible to freshen up Pebblecrete?

hayden13
Finding My Feet

is it possible to freshen up Pebblecrete?

Hello everyone,

I have a house that has quite a bit of pebblecrete inc the pool which is not a problem ,

im noticing that some of the pebbles are coming loose around the property is there a supplier who supplies these and what is the method for application?

IMG20220131120000.jpgIMG20220131120010_BURST000_COVER.jpgIMG20220131120025.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: is it possible to freshen up pebble crete?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @hayden13. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about restoring Pebblecrete.

Pebblecrete is generally applied with an epoxy mix. The pebbles are mixed into the epoxy glue, and it is then troweled over the area. With age, the top layer of epoxy wears away, and the stones can become loose. The Pebblecrete around my pool is in much the same condition as yours. I haven't heard of any kits for the repair of Pebblecrete. In your case, it's even more difficult than if it was a patch you had to repair. If it was you could simply pour the epoxy pebble mix into it and then blend it into the surrounding surface. I imagine the only way to fill in those stones is very tediously by hand. I'm sure you could imagine the amount of work involved with re-gluing every single stone. In regards to where you could get the stones from. I'd suggest trying a few aquarium shops as it is similar to the gravel used in fish tanks.

Have you considered alternatives like covering over the surface? You should find @JRRed's discussion on Re-surfacing pebblecrete interesting. You can use Megatreat products to smooth the surface out.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

thanks for the reply has some very helpful information, megatreat looks like a great product and I will research some more,

I haven't ruled out removing the pebblecrete totally and looking at other options any advice where i should look that has all flooring concrete options ect so i can compare all styles prices ect?

Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @hayden13,

Given the array of different exterior surfaces, I'm not sure if you're going to find all your choices conveniently in one location. In saying that, there are likely not too many choices available. Perhaps you could tile or pave the area, build a decking boardwalk, or consider using pebbles? You should find these two guides helpful: The best outdoor flooring options for your home and Garden flooring tips for every lifestyle.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects