Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

tin can wind chime

monicab
Just Starting Out

tin can wind chime

I want my students to paint tin cans for making wind chimes but I don't know what paint to use.

Can I use normal poster paint and then spray them with a sealant for protecting them from the rain etc once hung outdoors?

Or is there a paint that is easy to work with (and clean up!) that will be ok in winter weather?

Ideally I would like a spray varnish in case they want to add glitter or stickers etc.

Help please....

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: tin can wind chime

What age are your students @monicab? I suspect it might influence the recommendations you get from members about products to use. 

Let me extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. We're pleased you could join us and look forward to reading more about your projects and plans. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

Re: tin can wind chime

@monicab Welcome to the Workshop Community!

Yes, poster paint and then some type of craft spray varnish over the top will work (not sure of the longevity I believe it would last at least a few years). Alternatively you could use something like Dulux Weather Sheild which is water based, can still be a bit of a pain if it gets on their clothes though. The Dulux Exterior Weathershield will bond much better to the metal though.

Would love to see some pictures of them when they are done also!!

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects