Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

BAL rating 12.5

J-TAC
Finding My Feet

BAL rating 12.5

Hello

Looking for some help on BAL (Bushfire Attack Level) 12.5. We are building a new home and would l want to build a timber deck area on the side of the house. Can someone please let me know what martials we can or can't use.

I have already made contact with local council and fire authority in NE VIC, both where unhelpful.

Thanks

J-TAC

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: BAL rating 12.5

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @J-TAC. It's fabulous to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

I'd encourage you to do a google search along the lines of "BAL (Bushfire Attack Level) 12.5 restrictions decks". You'll find plenty of information on requirements and be able to verify what materials you can or can't use.

A synopsis of the regulations are: 

BAL-12.5

Enclosed sub-floor spaces – no special requirements for materials, except within 400mm of the ground. No special requirements for framing or supports. Decking to be non-combustible or bushfire resistant within 300mm horizontally and 400mm vertically from a glazed element. Any hardwood deck board can be used.

If there is any question as to whether your design meets the relevant standards, it would be worth considering employing an engineer's services to put some plans together for you.

Please let us know if you need further help or have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects