Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Best metal sheet for a magnetic chalkboard wall?

nals
Just Starting Out

Best metal sheet for a magnetic chalkboard wall?

Hi all,

I am hoping to line a wall in my home gym with a magnetic sheet with chalkboard vinyl over it.

What do you reckon my best bet from bunnings is as far as what metal sheet I should use?

Things of note:

- Metal will have to be flat with no texture

- Metal will have to be magnetic

- Metal should be lightweight and thin so I can use mounting tape and glue

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Best metal sheet for a magnetic chalkboard wall?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @nals. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about creating a magnetic board.

Do you have the chalkboard vinyl to cover the metal sheet? If so, I can recommend Australian Handyman Supplies 1200 x 600 x 0.55mm Galvabond Mini Sheet. I use it in this project: Create a kid's magnet board + Hide an old heater. Magnets stick to it really well. I'd recommend giving it a good clean-down to remove any oils that might be present on the sheeting before sticking it to the wall. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @MitchellMc for the fast and helpful response! Yes I do have the chalkboard vinyl - but do you recommend that I paint the metal sheet instead?

Prime with this - White Knight Rust Guard Medium Grey Metal Primer Paint - 1L

Then topcoat with this - Dulux Design Black Chalkboard Paint

Thanks again.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @nals 

Both methods are suitable for your project. Painting the surface of the steel is a good secondary option and the products that you've mentioned will work on the surface of the steel. Please remember to wash the surface with soap and water to remove any grease or oil deposits on the surface.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves and goggles when painting the steel surface.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects