Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Cabinet upcycle into a community library

Renowayoflife
Becoming a Leader

Cabinet upcycle into a community library

There is nothing better than taking an old piece of furniture and creating a new way to use it. That is what have done with this fun cabinet upcycle into a community library. 

I found this cabinet on one of my many Salvation Army thrift store trips and loved how unique it was. There are some great finds at the op shop that you can upcycle and make your own or use as is and the best part about it is and it’s easy on your wallet.

For this project I headed to my local bunnings to pick up some materials and got to work. As we have been renovating for some time I took advantage of items and paint that we already had.

https://youtu.be/ewMGuTp-758

he kids have had a load of fun helping me pick out some books to donate and start the library off and we can’t wait to help the kindy get it installed

Happy DIYing 

Claire 

TT

IG 

Blog

Materials

Bastion 15kg Rapid Set Membrane
Pillar 0.9 x 2m Frost Adhesive Window Film
Boyle 45cm x 1.5m Watercolour Botanica Self Adhesive Film
Dulux 1Step Prep Primer, Sealer & Undercoat 1L
Dulux 1L Enamel Paint Aquanamel Gloss Black
Dulux 300g Metalshield Etch Primer Spraypak Light Grey
Dulux 300g Metalshield Hammered Finish Spray Paint Bronze

Tools

Steps

Step 1

Preparation 

was planning to paint this cabinet so I sanded it to rough up the varnish to give the paint a surface to stick.

As the cabinet will most likely be kept outside I decided to coat the back and top with a waterproof membrane as there were some cracks in the wood. If you were using this cabinet internally, this wouldn’t be necessary.

IMG_0008 Small.jpeg

Step 2

Waterproofing

To add a layer of protection to the glass, I embossed it using a frosted privacy film. I measured the glass panes and cut them down to size. 

You need a solution to spray on the glass to wet the adhesive and smooth out the film. At first, I used water mixed with washing detergent to manipulate the frosting in place but I found this left a white residue on under the window film.

I swapped out the soap mixture for water and this worked in the same way and didn’t leave any marks. Once it was dry I used an external caulk around the edges of the glass and left it for 24 hours to dry.

IMG_9984.jpeg

IMG_8F3CA7373D1D-1.jpegIMG_9984.jpegIMG_E9C9FF513BA6-1.jpeg

Step 3

Prime & Paint

I primed the cabinet using a tinted primer then applied two coats of a Dulux black satan exterior paint.

IMG_23B9537AC19C-1.jpeg

Step 4

Add some Personality

We are gifting This community library to our local kindergarten; I wanted to add a pop of colour. I applied peel-and-stick contact to the back of the cabinets. I measured each back panel and cut them to size. Application is a little tricky as it’s very sticky, and you want to avoid bubbles. I peeled the top of the wallpaper back and applied it using a scraper as you pull the back from the wallpaper

IMG_0412 (2) 2.jpeg

Step 5

I cut some vinyl for the library signs using my cricut Joy and added these as a finishing touch

IMG_0413 (2) 2.jpeg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Cabinet upcycle into a community library

Hi @Renowayoflife,

How great is op shopping and upcycling!? Your wonderful project is truly inspiring for our members who are looking to create their own community projects. Your decision to add frosted glass for extra protection is a clever touch. Thank you for sharing your process and the detailed video. It is much appreciated. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @Renowayoflife 

Thats a nice looking little libary :smile: I really have to stop seeing old style timber things as out of date. It looks retro and new at the same time! I like the idea of the waterproof membrane on top and back, would love to know how it holds up to the elements? Id be tempted to take it home with me as its such a nice cabinet! :smile:

Dave

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

@RenowayoflifeLooks great and I’m sure everyone in your local area will appreciate it 🥰🥰

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I absolutely love it @Renowayoflife! I'm a huge fan of street libraries and have seen some really well-made ones, but your aesthetic takes the cake! It's such a good choice for the piece to use, and your results are just fab. It was a great choice to seal around the glass panels as they were a likely leak point.

Many thanks for sharing your incredible project and providing the necessary details for our members to give it a shot themselves.

Well done!

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects