Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can HardieGroove Lining be glued to plasterboard?

monakahandyman
Finding My Feet

Can HardieGroove Lining be glued to plasterboard?

Can HardieGroove Lining be just glued to a wall that is cement blocks + plasterboard (no studs)?

20230810_105542_resized.jpg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Can HardieGroove Lining be glued to a cement block wall?

Good morning @monakahandyman 

Wlecome to Bunnings community page :smile: I do have a question about your question :smile: When you say "HardiGroove lining" do you mean a grooved piece of timber or a plaster board? 

If its just plaster I have glue segmants straight to brickwork (Not concrete blocks) and that has held up over the past few years. I used gyprock compound as the glue for the stud walls and to glue the sheet straight to the plaster. Garage lining for stud walls stage 1 is the project if you want to see the glue on the bricks. It worked really well. The corners of the wall to the door are only 120mm wide and are only stuck on via the glue. Solid as a rock.

With cement blocks I am not sure how well it would bond, I dont have a spare bucket atm to read the instructions :smile: The only issue I have is that there is no space/allowance for running cables ect or putting in wall hanging screws down the track (you will remember bit someone else may not realise.)

Are you repairing those holes or just showing it as an example?

Dave

monakahandyman
Finding My Feet

Hi Dave, thanks for your reply. Hardie™ Groove Lining – "a durable fibre cement VJ sheet panel that gives the look of tongue and groove timber with the durability of fibre cement" (from the Hardie website).

Regarding the photo of the holes, that was just to show the wall makeup - cement blocks + plasterboard with no studs or other framing between the cement blocks and the plasterboard. I don't know how the plasterboard is attached to the cement blocks. but probably glued and nailed I guess. I was just thinking of using liquid nails to avoid filling nail holes.

Good morning @monakahandyman 

I think Id wait for one of the Bunnings people to give better information, I know it worked on my smooth bricks but dont know about concrete bricks. Thanks for the more info tho :smile:

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @monakahandyman. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing HardieGroove.

Many things in the world of D.I.Y. can just be done, like glueing HardieGroove board to plasterboard. Will it work? Probably. Is it a technique that is warranted from James Hardie? Unfortunately not. Here's the installation manual with all the approved installation methods. In section 4.8, you'll find the instructions for fixing to masonry, which is the closest to what you have. It requires you to batten out the wall with timber of minimum size 35mm thick x 45mm wide. The sheeting can then be attached to the battens.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects