Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I use Ryobi Drill driver to drill into brick?

ritcho
Getting Established

Can I use Ryobi Drill driver to drill into brick?

Hi, I have a Ryobi drill driver but it took forever to drill only the surface of the brick. I specially bought a drill bit for brick. Is this drill driver not strong enough for drilling brick? thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can I use Ryobi Drill driver to drill into brick?

Hello @ritcho 

Thanks for sharing your question about your Ryobi drill driver. I just want to confirm, did you change the function of the drill to hammer function? If you have a Ryobi drill driver there should a switch at the top that lets you change function.

Here is a link to our best advice: How do you drill into brick?

I also suggest having a look at this guide - How to drill into brick.

In regards to your current drill bit, did it overheat while you were using it? How deep did you drill into the brick? If the bit has overheated it's probably worn down the critical cutting edge of the bit making it more difficult to drill into the brick.

I propose trying again, but this time using the small masonry bit technique as a pilot hole and then drilling the larger hole. In regards to the type of masonry bit, I suggest using something from the Kango or Sutton range.   

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ritcho
Getting Established

Hi Eric,

My Ryobi drill driver does not have a hammer mode. It seems that mine is for drilling wood, metal.. only. Thanks for your detailed information. I will try drilling pilot holes than larger holes. 

Thanks so much.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ritcho 

If you are drilling without a hammer mode, I suggest drilling slowly making sure that the drill does its job properly. Make sure to give the drill bit a rest period to prevent overheating.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects