Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I use live moss on flywire screen for privacy?

MeganM
Just Starting Out

Can I use live moss on flywire screen for privacy?

I'm thinking about using moss in my flywire screen for privacy and moisture absorption. Or some kind of air plant.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can I use live moss on flywire screen for privacy?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @MeganM. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for sharing your plans with us.

Adding moss or air plants to a flywire screen door is certainly a novel idea that I haven't come across before. I couldn't find any references on Google for something similar, so I threw this together for us. I must say, it looks absolutely stunning! 

Plantdoor.png

I'd suggest that it'll be easier to use air plants as, unlike moss, they don't require any medium to grow in. They could easily be affixed by using fine wire looped through the flywire mesh. Perhaps instead of using moss on the screen, you could use it to make a doormat? That would be super cool!

Just to confirm, do you have aluminium or fibreglass mesh? If you have fibreglass, it would be worth upgrading to aluminium as it won't stretch due to the additional weight of the plants.

I thought I'd also mention that we have quite an extensive range of artificial plants that you might like to also consider. Unfortunately, no moss in that range, but they could give you some other ideas.

I'm keen to follow along with your project and provide advice as you go. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects