Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you buy downlight covers?

jazrose101
Finding My Feet

Can you buy downlight covers?

IMG20240209185022.jpg

 just wondering if you can get covers for these? I can see right through to the roof and i really don't like it, I do know they're older style so may just need to be all replaced but as I'm in a rental thought possibly covers may work.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: downlight covers

Hello @jazrose101 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about down lights.

Unfortunately, the old-style downlights were open at the top to provide ventilation. A long time ago high wattage lamps that were used in down lights generated a lot of heat. In order to let the heat escape the tops of the downlight fixings were open, cover diffusers were not viable yet at the time because of the heating problem.

As the bulb heated up hot air would be generated around the housing, and it would rise up through the open slots and out to the ceiling cavity. This airflow provided cooling for the lamp and prevented hot air from being trapped. As technology progressed lamps became smaller and not so hot, better ways of ventilation and cooling were developed until finally LED came along and then you could get fully covered colour change downlight fixings.

I don't know what kind of bulb you have in that downlight fixing, but in the interest of health and safety, I don't recommend covering it with anything just in case it's an old-style filament bulb.

However, you could always propose a downlight upgrade with your landlord. You could split the cost or make a deal and discuss the merits of an Arlec 9W Tri Colour Dimmable LED Downlight.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

That's really helpful thankyou! I did a bit of research and I think I may approach my landlords with the offer of going halves, I'm just trying to find an electrician to get a quote to change the 17 lights in the home. They currently just have bayonet/screw lightbulbs in them. 

The house is a wee townhouse built in 1996 so I'm unsure as to the wiring etc but if you know a rough price of what I may be looking at that would be awesome.

Thanks again for your help 

Jaz

Hi @jazrose101,

Just to add my two cents, those appear to be the older downlight fittings that took an incandescent R-80 globe that filled the fixture neatly, and you couldn't see around them. They also protruded further out with a flush finish. Your fixtures have been retrofitted with smaller and likely energy-efficient globes. The appearance isn't great, as they are substantially smaller than the originals, and an energy-efficient globe in an R80 style would have been a better choice.

Here's a Luce Bella R80 E27 LED 800lm 10W Warm White Globe in the original R80 style that should fill the fixture much more adequately.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thankyou! I think I will get some in the meantime as it's the seeing right up into the roof that just gives me the creeps. 

Thanks again 🙂

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects