Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you paint OSB flooring?

Nanne
Cultivating a Following

Can you paint OSB flooring?

I was hoping to have plywood sub flooring underneath the carpet but NO ... it is OSB (20 yrs old). The original plan was to use paving paint to paint the 2 bedroom floors including stairs due to non existent budget ..Can I paint OSB flooring or am I better off putting, cheap thin plywood sheeting ?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: OSB Flooring

Hi @Nanne,

You can paint the OSB board, but there is some preparation required. First, you need to clean it with Trisodium phosphate to remove the waxy layer applied to its surface. An all-purpose cleaner and paint prep like Tricleanium will do this job for you. Once you've cleaned the boards and allowed them to dry thoroughly, you can apply Feast Watson Timber Floor Paint

If the OSB has started to degrade, then you might like to prep it after cleaning with Feast Watson Proofseal before painting.

Please be advised that these products are designed by the manufacturer for solid timber flooring, not for a particle OSB board. You might wish to do a test section in an inconspicuous location to verify if they'll work for you.

If these products don't fall within your budget, I recommend you use the most budget-friendly oil-based enamel paint you can find. Something like Taubmans Tradex in a 10L would be reasonably budget-friendly. However, it's not explicitly designed to be used on floors, but it is a hard-wearing paint. Exterior paints like paving paint are best left for outdoor purposes.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nanne
Cultivating a Following

Hi Mitchell

Which Feast Watson Proofseal is the link (currently not working)? The OSB flooring is worn-out and I am not sure whether Feast Watson Floor paint is waterproof enough with 2-3 coats?
Many thanks 

NanneIMG_1627.jpeg1B379164-ED97-4F03-A5F2-40384038F5A9.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Nanne

Please try this link instead of the Feast Watson 1L Proofseal. Are you preparing to revamp your floors? Would it be possible for you to tell us a little bit about how you are progressing with your project? Any extra details you can share with our members would be very much appreciated. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Nanne
Cultivating a Following

Thank you EricL

I looked at my flooring options and until I have the budget to match what I would really want, I decided to paint the sub flooring which turned out to be OSB / particle / chip flooring (I was hoping for plywood). 

I have Feast Watson floor paint and I will get the Proofseal today.

My BIG Q is now what should I  do with the thin hairline cracks you can see between the flooring sheets? I used Timbermate Wood Filler to fill any cracks and spaces between the flooring sheets. After 2 months the floor has shifted hence you can see very fine lines. 

What is the best product to use to seal this since I believe if I use the Proofseal followed by floor paint - I will still see the lines or near future if the flooring shifts, cracks are back?

Someone suggested Fiberglass waterproof filler?

Many thanks in advance :smile:IMG_1628.jpegIMG_1629.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Nanne

I suggest using Nordsjo Professional Flexible Wood Filler 500ml. It is a flexible wood sealer and can be painted over, this should work well with your timber flooring. Some stores have this as a special order product, I suggest giving your local store a call and seeing if it is in stock. If it isn't, I suggest placing an order with the special orders desk.

Eric

Nanne
Cultivating a Following

Hi MitchellMC

Is there a floor coating  that would make the surface hard? I used Feast and Watson Proofseal and Floor paint (see pics). I am happy with the temporary solution, since it is particle / chippy flooring anything too heave that accidentally drops on to the floor will crack the surface.69095411255__F2EA23BF-DD28-4120-BEF2-6E924BEB4E4E.jpeg69096875860__D5AA9A79-A39A-4541-9F18-E2D2E1CFB831.jpegIMG_1679.jpeg 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Nanne

Thank you very much for posting that update, your floor looks fantastic. The paint that @Mitchell recommended is actually the ideal product for your floor. To get extra strength for the surface, I suggest putting on an extra coat on top. Because of the nature of the material of your flooring, it will tend to chip. I suggest looking at carpet runners to cover the areas that will get a lot of traffic. This will also serve as a buffer for anything that might drop on the floor.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects