Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you paint floor tiles?

glenmore
Having an Impact

Can you paint floor tiles?

I’m wondering if it is possible to effectively paint floor tiles…

We have tiles in the bathroom and kitchen areas, but I don’t love the colour. They are ceramic large square tough tiles with a slightly roughened surface texture, so not completely smooth flat surface. The pattern of light and darker browns  with some white/silver steaks means that they don’t show the dirt but never really look clean either. It makes the rooms look darker and we are changing the colours of the house to more of a black, grey and white palate. 

I did a test patches with a wash of dilute white matt taubmanns 3 in 1 and this seems to have bonded and taken rather than flaked, but it’s not in a high passage areas and is a subtle change. 

We have dogs, so it needs to be durable. 
Something that changed the tones would be ok, it doesn’t have to be a solid colour. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Painting floor tiles

Hi @glenmore,

It is possible to paint floor tiles, but I'd recommend you stick with products specifically designed for that purpose. I suggest using the Dulux Renovation range for floors and the associated primer. This will ensure the toughest coating that is resistant to wear. Although you'll find other primers which will adhere, their longevity might not be so great.

You should find this step-by-step guide useful: How to paint floor tiles.

My only concern about your project is how durable this coating will be with your dogs. You might wish to invest in some carpet runners for the high traffic areas.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Painting floor tiles

Thanks @MitchellMc 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects