Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you plaster over brick?

kj2801
Growing in Experience

Can you plaster over brick?

I have a lot of internal exposed brick. I am wanting to cover it but not completely. I love the look of bagged brick. However, I am wanting a finish that would be a little more soft to the touch which would allow cleaning (wiping) a little easier. I've thought about bagging then painting. I live in WA which builds houses with cement render with a white set plaster on top.y question is, can I use just the white set straight over the brick? Or does it require a.cement render first? I'm wanting to still see the brick texture. If this is possible what product is recommended? And do the mortar lines need to be filled first or can the white set be used to fill these? I've read and seen other diy jobs in other countries that use lime plaster? Not sure how that product differs if at all to here in Australia. Any info will be greatly appreciated!!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Plaster Over Brick

Hi @kj2801,

You could vary your technique with the bagging process and drag the mixture across the bricks instead of stippling it and pulling rough peaks up. Or, go over the area you've just bagged with a coarse brush to knock down the peaks and create a smoother finish.

You could use Gyprock CSR 20kg Hardwall Plaster over your bricks, but as you've mentioned, it is designed for and typically used over concrete or render. Here are a couple of helpful step-by-step guides: How to hard plaster and How to white set internal render. If you still wanted to see the bricks, then you could apply the product with a wide and coarse brush. Or, roll it on and brush it back with a dry brush to expose the brick.

You could fill your mortar lines with the plaster, though if you are bagging or applying a non-opaque layer of plaster to the brick's faces, you will have very defined and filled mortar lines.

The hardwall plaster does a similar job to lime plaster; in fact, lime plaster can be mixed into it to produce a high-gloss finish and allow you to wax and buff it to a polish.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
kj2801
Growing in Experience

Thank you for the reply! 

If I were to fill mortar lines with mortar and apply 2-3 thin coats of lime plaster slurry/putty, would this adhere to the brick surface? I'm assuming a cement render or sand mixed with lime or even a clay is used for a base to even out wall etc and act as a base for the top coat to adhere to? I know Lime plaster is usually applied in 3 coats- 10mm base, 10mm float and 4mm top with each 10mm taking atleast 10dqys to dry but I was wondering if I did 2x 4mm top coats would the brick be enough of a base? Also avoiding to scratch the surface of 1st 4mm coat? I've added picture of what I'm wanting to achieve. I'm wanting a really soft finish. I know bagging with mortar will be a heck of alot easier but I don't want that rough render feel. 

Screenshot_20230821-092619_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20230821-092708_Google.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Ah! The Mediterranean look @kj2801. Love it! 

It's hard to give you a definitive answer unless we use a specific product and follow their recommendations. It might be a bit of a trial-and-error situation.

Personally, I'd build up coats of Gyprock CSR 20kg Hardwall Plaster using a brush. If you get any roughness, you can also sand the plaster for a smoother finish. The plaster will be a much finer mix than a render. 

On a side note, I made this hanging wall nook out of cardboard covered in grout (similar texture to render with full-sized sand particles). A layer of plaster over it would really smooth it out.

Oh, I'm extra excited about this project now!

Mitchell

MicrosoftTeams-image (2).png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects