Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you use a portable air conditioner without venting to outside?

CAStitt
Just Starting Out

Can you use a portable air conditioner without venting to outside?

Can the Click portable air conditioner be operated in a room with no outside access, i.e. without the use of the exhaust hose to outside?

seannami
Building a Reputation

Re: Portable Air Conditioner

In my experience, those kinds of aircons will pump a lot of heat out the back without the pipe- and the Click seemed to only work for a smallish room so might put more heat out the back than cold out the front. Perhaps consider an evaporative? Admittedly they work better with ventilation, but its much less necessary especially if you use fridge-cold water. I got a Bonaire DiET 22 and its doing pretty well!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Portable Air Conditioner

Hello @CAStitt

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your portable air conditioner.

It's great that you've received sound advice from @seannami. I'm sorry but in order for the aircon to work properly the exhaust must be vented outside the window. It will not work properly if the hot exhaust air is pumped into the same room as the cold air. Is there a reason you can't mount the exhaust pipe? Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the room or perhaps tell us the hindrances that are preventing you from mounting the exhaust? I'm sure our members would be more than happy to offer you advice and information on possible mounting alternatives.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects