Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Concrete floor re-sealing

AndyW
Just Starting Out

Concrete floor re-sealing

Having just finished our new house biuld we are realy disapointed with the cement floot finish. Not sealed correctly and now needs re-grinding and or re-sealing. Any suggestions on completing? Professionals want 8K which we cannot afford.

Many thanks in advance,

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

Re: Concrete floor re-sealing

Was it part of the build contract if so please contact the Building commission or Consumer protection?
The question arises " Did you get what you paid for...?" as standard house slabs shouldn't be polished and sealed
Please check your Engineering Drawing & . BTW photos do help others

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @AndyW,

Sorry to read of your experience. Let me tag @ProjectPete for you as he's just finishing a new build and has had some wins with his builder when he hasn't been happy with their work. He's also a fan of polished concrete so might be able to share his experiences, although you might like to provide more detail and some photos of your floor so the community can see what you're unhappy with and get other opinions. 

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. I'm sorry that you've had a poor experience at a time that should be so exciting for you. We look forward to reading more positive posts about your projects and plans for the new house. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @AndyW, first things first - welcome to workshop!

When it comes to your builder - don't let them push you around, that's for sure. You're the one paying them to produce a quality product. But like @BIM_Engineer said, you need to be aware of what your contract includes, your builder's obligations, etc. Certainly use the Ombudsman if you don't get a satisfactory outcome from complaints to your builder.

If it turns out you do need to do it yourself, I'm happy to recommend one of my subcontractors to you (if you're based in Perth, WA). $8k seems like a lot.

You do have the option to grind/polish it yourself. It's not an easy job but with a bit of practice you'll get a good finish and will save you loads.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects