Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Copper water pipe insulation

lukec
Getting Established

Copper water pipe insulation

Hi all, I have an annoying situation where whenever I want to run the tap in summer, I have to wait up to a minute or two just to run out the hot water before the cold starts. I'm assuming the bulk of this is coming from the ceiling cavity which is baking hot most of the time (though could be heating up under the courtyard as well) so I wanted to just insulate the piping while I'm up there installing insulation. To be fair it's not a critical job, but I do feel like I'm washing away liters of water every time I want to fill a glass or kettle.

Is there any reason not to use something like a K-Flex Elsastomeric Pipe insulation that I can see in store, and is there any tips I should be aware of before doing this?

Cheers in advance

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Copper water pipe insulation

Hello @lukec

Thank you for sharing your question about insulating copper pipe with K-Flex Elsastomeric Pipe insulation. My only recommendation regarding pipe insulation is to use the correct size so that there will be no air gaps between the pipe and the insulation. Please make sure to cover all the exposed pipework including the bends.  

Another method of cooling down your ceiling cavity is to install a Bradford CSR WindMaster 300mm Natural Roof Vent - Mill Silver in combination with a Bradford 250mm CSR Round Ceiling Grill Vent. This will allow cool air from inside the house to pass through your ceiling cavity and out through the roof vent thereby reducing the heat trapped inside. The ceiling vent can be closed off during winter to prevent cold draughts from coming in. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects