Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Custom computer desk materials?

Kirsty2
Finding My Feet

Custom computer desk materials?

16453190091053562980827957084205.jpg

Looking to build a duo computer desk to sit two people and two computers. How do I support the middle of the desk so it doesn't bend under the weight? Also wondering what the best (and cheap) option would be for materials? Melamine or timber?

The desk will be screwed together in the room and the top needs to be able to be unscrewed when we move houses. Everything on top of the desk will be sitting on top, not secured and the two computer boxes will be used as legs for the desk.

I've drawn a few options for supporting the middle of the tabletop, would the triangular shape offer enough support for the weight? I dont want to add a full middle leg because the idea is to be able to slide chairs between the two.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Custom computer desk

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Kirsty2. It's brilliant to have you join us and many thanks for your question about creating a computer desk.

Our finger jointed panels a likely a reasonably priced candidate for your project. However, there are no 2800mm panels, nor will you find any others readily available at that length. Sheet panel products like melamine really only go up to 2400 x 1200mm, so you'll need to join sheets for your proposed top size. You can use these benchtop joiners to hold the join tightly closed.

Your triangular support looks quite functional and should be sufficient to support the central area. It would need to extend out at least halfway across the depth of the desk. Alternatively, you could use a stayed bracket.

The design you've come up with looks to be a great use of space. I've put a rendering together for you below for a bit of inspiration.

Please let me know if you have any questions, and I can't wait to follow along with your project.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks heaps for your help! You've answered a lot of my questions,  with the middle support, it will need to go to the ground as we're currently renting we can't screw into walls or lean against them.

Do you have anything available in the 2800x800 size that we could use for the bench top only?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

2800mm is very long for a sheet product @Kirsty2. You'll likely need to create a custom order to achieve your desired size in one panel. It would be worth having a chat with a helpful team member at your local store's Special Orders desk. We should be able to order white coat Melamine in close to your desired size from one of our suppliers, CUSTOMpine. Otherwise, you'd be looking at benchtops, and due to them being quite thick, they command a higher price tag.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Great thanks for your help,  I'll plan a trip to my local store :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects