Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

D.I.Y. frame for canvas art

EleventhCoastal
Making a Splash

D.I.Y. frame for canvas art

This DIY Canvas Artwork and Frame was completed to add colour and artwork at an affordable price for our family

Materials

1m x 1m Canvas

Tasmanian Oak Framing Timber 

Acrylic Paints

Tools

Ryobi Brad Nailer 

Ryobi Drill

Steps

Step 1

Painted the Canvas over the period of 10 days to ensure each layer was dry before I added to it

Step 2

For the Timber Frame, I cut the first piece to a 45 degree angle then lined it with the canvas to measure the next cut, I continued this process for all four sides.  I always measured twice and cut a mil or two longer just in case, this worked everytime

Step 3

I added clue to the corner cuts and held them together and then added two or three nails to each corner to ensure the frame was secure and stayed together 

Step 4

To secure the canvas to the frame I pre drilled holes the whole way around the back of the frame, pre drilled a wider hole 2 mil dee as I was using countersunk screws to keep the canvas and frame together  

Step 5

I then added to hooks out of the Picture Hanging Kit and added the wire and then hung to the wall

Kirsty P
KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: DIY Canvas and Frame

Hi @EleventhCoastal,

Your custom frame for your gorgeous artwork is stunning. A perfect D.I.Y. to tackle over a couple of weeks. What was the inspiration behind your artwork? I really love the colour pallet you chose. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Good Morning Katie,

Thank you for your beautiful words I truly appreciate them.
Over the last few months I have spent most of my time home resting due to health reasons and I had been watching several colourful shows and scrolling Pinterest and watching tutorials on almost everything (artwork included).

Like most our budget is extremely tight so I thought why not create an artwork that reflects myself and my family.

I asked my husband and two sons their favourite colours and I went to work and created this!
I knew it needed the floating frame to make it pop and well I think it has done just that.  Cutting the frame by hand was both challenging and rewarding and I love how it’s all turned out.

Thank you again for your kind words.

Cheers

Kirsty

Kirsty P

Hi @EleventhCoastal,

Glad to hear you are getting some much-needed rest but able to stay creative! I love that you have really brought your family into your artwork, a stunning expression. The floating frame is perfect for it and I can't believe you did it all by hand, it looks so professional. 

Amazing work.

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Katie,

It is definitely a very special piece that’s for sure, thank you for your compliment I’m very chuffed.

I love the frame around it and am so proud of it.

Have a brilliant Friday 

Cheers

Kirst 

Kirsty P

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects