Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

D.I.Y. pendant light

EleventhCoastal
Making a Splash

D.I.Y. pendant light

79F76D59-E2FE-439B-A8BD-795188E1DEC2.jpeg

When I dreamt about this Pendant Light I knew making it was definitely something I needed to do!

The hunt began, I found an off cut of timber that was cut into a circle and then sanded and stained in Feast Watson Black Japan Stain. 

Then I found three unused candle holders that I have had for over 7 years, gave them a touch up of spray paint and set aside.

I purchased the Lytworx puck lights, hooks, chains, 3m tape from Bunnings and home I went.

I measured equally the corners of a triangle from the centre of the circle and added a hook into each, cut the chain down to three different sizes using a grinder. 

secured the chain to the candle holder with 4mm Wire Eye Straps. 

Then with some 3M tape I secured the timber to the roof, attached the chains and lowered the candle holders down!

I turned the puck lights on and secured the remote to the wall and there you have it, A light pendant for around $20 

A694D8FD-9B3D-4B05-B2F4-E1F0FE3924C0.jpeg

F96ABF4A-81A1-4B95-9569-81E98F10874E.jpeg

2B61311B-2262-45E8-8390-83BE77CEE5A7.jpeg

AE0AA72D-C840-4C9B-8224-27D45B91D211.jpeg

Kirsty P
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: D.I.Y. pendant light

Hello @EleventhCoastal

Thank you very much for sharing this fantastic pendant light project. I think it's great that you've managed to use the materials you had on hand to create this light display. If I recall correctly the light pendants have settings going from bright, brighter and brightest. Not only can you adjust the brightness and set the mood, but you can also extend the battery life of the pendant lights.   

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the chain's connection to the light assembly? This will give our members a better idea of how this display was created. I'm sure this adds a nice touch to the room's overall look.

Again, thank you for sharing your magnificent pendant light project. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Eric,

Thank you  so much for your feedback, I e attached below a few pics to show how it is all connected.  

the beauty of the puck light is definitely that they have the two functions from bright to moody and the shadow play that is thrown is the best.

D37CCF26-0A85-4CC7-8F10-7707941E4B4A.jpeg

509B654D-2818-4032-8BA0-A928D9C9734F.jpeg

Kirsty P

Hi @EleventhCoastal

Thank you very much for posting those extra details of your assembly. I'm sure this information will come in handy for our members who are planning on building a similar display.

Eric

Baretta11
Becoming a Leader

@EleventhCoastal 

What a beatiful pendant light, love what you've done.

I designed my own pendant lights for the master bedroom after seeing similar looking pendants on an overseas website. I couldn't find anything like it here in Australia so I went about buying what I needed to make it happen.Only difference is my pendants were hard wired and I managed to actually buy the cluster plate from Beacon Lighting that had the holes for the three cords and then bought three of their Aero pendant lights and had my sparky put it all together and connect it up.

I think it came up ok?Bed 1 - Pendants on.JPG

I think you did a wicked job! Looks brilliant 

Kirsty P
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Baretta11

That's a really creative way to build what you want. They look like large beautiful silver raindrops frozen in place.

Thank you for sharing your fantastic pendant assembly with us.

Eric

@EleventhCoastal 

Thanks for the kind words Kirsty I really do like what you've done too as I simply love pendants. I have a trio of pendants in two other bedrooms too

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects